Outage & Server Upgrade

dklsplace

Reaction score
Well that wasn't any fun. :?

As you may recall, I have received warning messages on occasion from the web host that we had "excessive server processor load." Generally, I have been able to tidy up things & get it back under control, but as we have grown, the frequency of these instances has increased (according to the host).

This time, without any warning at all, they simply took the sight off line. The only way to get back up & running was to agree to upgrade to a dedicated server plan at a cost of $49.95 per month. I'm not at all pleased with the way this was handled.

Shopping around for a new host. I'm open to suggestions. Anyone running their own server farm with available space?

Hang in there,
Don

cjd-player

Reaction score
Time for dues???

Money20stacks.jpg

Or (gasp) maybe a little corporate sponsorship from Fender/Guild ?

db62

Reaction score
Would you give any thought to a fundraiser/giveaway? The Gretsch-Talk forum just did a great one with prizes donated by Gretsch and TV Jones. $18 per entry. I'm sure the Guild community would be generous in return for this great forum. Here's a few links from the Gretsch fundraiser:
http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forum/gretsch-discussion-forum/12819-anybody-here-want.html
http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forum/freds-barcalounge/13241-grestch-talk-draw-legit.html
http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forum/forum-issues-problems-concerns/13414-prize-winners.html

valcotone

Reaction score
I've had good service and support from http://doteasy.com/ for a couple of websites over the past several years. I don't think my sites have even close to the traffic or data volume as LTG however, but it might be an alternative if you're seeking one. Like most hosting companies they have different levels of hosting plans, at varying costs.

Thanks for all your efforts Don, it is much appreciated!

wayside

Reaction score
I ran a board for a couple of years the was Vbulletin based and hosted by GoDaddy....initial setup was a few hundred bucks but after that it was under $20 per month to maintain it.We had a heck of a lot of traffic and some huge graphic files from members. .GoDaddy gives incredible customer service and their fees are not bank breakers. By the way, I have NO interest in GoDaddy or VBulletin!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
cjd-player said:
not those fivers, nickers, and quids.

British money can be exchanged, but I can see why Don wouldn't want Jerry's underpants. :roll:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
cjd-player said:
JerryR said:
Let us know if you need donations!
Jerry,
Don will need REAL money,

not those fivers, nickers, and quids. :mrgreen:

As it happens, I still have a lot of dollars cash - for some reason the dollar is staying weaker than the pound - I'm waiting for a better exchange rate :!:

Boy - have I had difficulty getting back on the site - I type in 'www.letstalkguild.com on my home computer and keep getting the domain provider's web-page - had to get in via Google :!:

TonyT

Reaction score
coastie99 said:
Graham said:
Default said:
I can see why Don wouldn't want Jerry's underpants. :roll:

I can as well!! :shock:

How come non-smokers still have nicotine stains in their underpants ?? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Obviously, they're holding their cigarette incorrectly.

cjd-player

Reaction score
JerryR said:
Boy - have I had difficulty getting back on the site - I type in 'www.letstalkguild.com on my home computer and keep getting the domain provider's web-page - had to get in via Google :!:
I guess Don's new security and filtering isn't working quite right yet. :(

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
cjd-player said:
JerryR said:
I guess Don's new security and filtering isn't working quite right yet. :(

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seems to be working perfectly! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Ignoring all the 'boytalk'...

While able to log onto LTG ok now, minus an avatar, having issues with youtube...if I type in the URL to the vid I want to see, it goes to the home page as unavailable...if I link from my favorites list, no problem...and I clear all temp. files all the time as I don't have much free space on C drive (small drive)...which raises the possibility there are other issues than just LTG's server snafu going on.

If you have LTG in 'favorites' or 'bookmarked' try accessing it from there. That's how I'm connecting.

The google workaround is interesting as well.

Then good old Micro you-know-who has been dumping a lot of 'updates' lately as well. And didn't they just put out a new OS? If servers/sites are maximizing for the new system? I've still got good old XP Pro running...

But then what do I know, I'm no computer pro. :wink: :lol:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don, I've heard reasonable things about GoDaddy too (as a host). Definitely check 'em out. I don't blame you for being pissed; that wasn't right to strongarm you like that.

cjd-player

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Don, I've heard reasonable things about GoDaddy too (as a host). Definitely check 'em out.
Somehow I just know there will end up being a connection between GoDaddy and the CN Tower. :roll:

Check "them" out. :mrgreen: