faux Magnatone...

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Magnatone amps and their unique vibrato (as opposed to tremolo as found in most amps) have come up on the forum before.
I'm in the camp that loves the sound of them, but is afraid to buy one as varistors (sp?), the little things responsible for the vibrato, are not available any more, so having one shipped to Belgium from the U.S. is a gamble to say the least.

In comes the Magnavibe pedal - an effects pedal designed to replicate the unique wobble, pitch bend, pulse, and throb of a Magnatone amp.
I'd read about these online, and when LTG member Mad Dog decided to sell his (it was redundant as he also owns the real thing - a Magnatone amp...), I jumped on the chance.

I don't have a Magnatone amp to A/B it with, but I have to say I do love the pedal, and it gives me the vibrato sounds I've been craving for a loooong time. I've used it on every gig since it arrived here a couple of months ago.

Now someone apparently put up a clip of my band playing in this little bar a couple of weeks ago - Magnavibe in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTKm8qi2oy8

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just wanted you to know that I have that lick you were playing from 07 to 15, down cold!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yup, it's good sounding, although you never can tell from the crummy youtube audio. :evil: I have a rotovibe that does vibrato, but it doesn't quite sound the same. :?

Nice addition to your tone arsenal!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Default said:
Yup, it's good sounding, although you never can tell from the crummy youtube audio. :evil: I have a rotovibe that does vibrato, but it doesn't quite sound the same. :?

Nice addition to your tone arsenal!
I have two different Univibe clones (which is what the Rotovibe is too) that do vibrato, but this one is different, and more musical sounding to my ears. I'm really happy with the pedal, it's very useable.

matsickma

Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how fleabay can come up with some of the most unusual items.

Also, I would think that once the seller fails to sel the lot for $5000 he will be willing to sell pieces at around $50 each!

It has been a long time since I heard a Magnatone amp. a friend of mine had one in the 60's but I was very inexperianced on issues of amp tone. I did have a Audio Guild amp a while back but didn't care for the amp tone. I noticed that Kustom combo amps have a unique control where from 6 oclock to 12 oclock the POT controls Vibrato and when you move from 12 oclock to 6 oclock it becomes Tremelo. Anyone ever check one of these out for tonal qualities?

M

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Nothing faux about that vibe tone Walter. It's for-real tasty stuff you're playing there. And it does sound Maggie. Doing my bit for cross-border tonal diplomacy ... great to hear the good use to which you are putting this pedal.