Worth Selling Guild Thunderbass Amp?

BreederCreature

Reaction score
This post is in reference to a thread I started when I bought the Thunderbass nearly a year ago (http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11126).

So I had the amp sent out for repair through Daddy's Junky Music and after about 6 months (I'm not exaggerating here, it was nuts) I finally got it back. They replaced the old chord and plug (so now it's a 3 prong plug) and they removed the AC line-to-ground capacitor. They weren't able to replace the power supply filter caps since they're no longer made (I think that's what the guy said, it was a while ago now), but he said all it may do is hum potentially.

I find myself not using the amp a lot (or at all really) since I don't gig with it and I just use my 1960 cab and rockerverb head to jam with. I know shipping would be a pain, but I hate to see the amp just sit around in my house when someone else could be enjoying it, so I'm wondering if I should try selling it? I've never sold anything this big, so would I take it to UPS and see how much it costs to ship or something like that?

Thanks a lot guys!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Adam; you might as well haul it and get several estimates; to the west coast, Texas, FL ... part of the charge is weight and the rest of it is distance. At least you'd have some idea of how much it would cost.

Too bad about Daddy's Junky Music ... I recapped that same model amp over a year ago ... threaded it here. Not that I'm Ken Fischer or anybody but it requires some thinking outside the box. They're right, the 4-section can capacitor is longer around but a suitable 3-section is; all that's left is finding a space under the chassis for an individual 40uf/450vdc cap ... no kidding, that's all. Although if you wouldn't have played it had it been recapped, well ... the heads go for $225-$325. One of our BBers had the same head/combo on eBay a while back, I don't know how it came out. Good luck; CJ

matsickma

Reaction score
I have sold some full size amps including a Beige 1966 Thunderbass head with 2-15 Quantum cabinet. I have found that the only way to sell a large amp is to put sweat equity into the packing. I usually make my own packing and take extra care to protect the corners an grill.I always make a shock absorbing bottom out of foam or balls of paper laminated between a full bottom carboard piece. In general I have been successful with this practice. Typically I loose money on selling a large amp but that is assumed to be hobby consumables.You should place a picture of your amp. What kind of cab? 15 inch or 12 speakers?

M

RWood

Reaction score
Or try selling it on Craigslist. No shipping involved, and you are close enough to NYC that you should get some good traffic.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Happy Holidays Richard!

John

Timi

Reaction score
Hi-
did you ever sell the Thunderbass??? I have one that's out of commission because of a blown transformer so I'm looking for a parts amp to get it running. Let me know ok? Thanks a bunch
-Timi

matsickma

Reaction score
As a matter of note...I sold my beige Thunderbass amp with matching 2-15 Quantum cabinet on ebay about a year ago. It went to a guy in NYC. I did all the packing myself and made an extra effort to protect it for any shock damage and to protect all the corners and grill/speakers.

It took a bit of sweat equity to do it but in the long run i was able to get what $ I wanted for it plus the buyer got a safely delivered amp and cab that didn't cost more than the amp was worth. so if you are willing to spend a few hours packing it and have the right material around (I keep all my ebay packing material in the attic and also hold on to any big boxes I find.)it can be done.

M