Why the thin necks?

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Revealing massive ignorance here! (Yes, I should read a book or something...) :oops:

But I was pondering this question. Why did the folks at Guild build the Starfires and JS-IIs with such wonderfully slim necks?

Were the designers guitar players?

Or were they improving on the EB necks?

I'm certainly glad they didn't opt to follow Fender when it came to neck design.

Thanks!

Happy Face

Reaction score
Mmmm.... no vague memories out there?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Happy Face said:
Mmmm.... no vague memories out there?
Nope. I liked the question, but in a rare moment of sanity, I figured since I had nothing to add, I would be silent.

I'm not entirely certain but I think the JetStar also had the same thin neck so the question may go back a little further in time that the Starfire. I am not a student of bass guitar history and construction but I have heard stories that the specifications for some early basses were determined by what was easy to make given an existing guitar production line.

Happy Face

Reaction score
That makes sense, Frono.

You know, a band I played in during high school playing a 40th Reunion gig near NYC last year. While we were getting ready, a gent was admiring my JS-II. He told me he worked at Guild back in the late 60s. I was distracted and his name went in one ear & out the other. Wish I had possesed the good sense to get his email address.

Dumb as dirt!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just as a comment, when I picked up a project m75 bass for DKL, I noticed that from the nut down to the 12th fret, it felt identical to my Starfire.
I liked that bass alot, even it the shape it was in.