Old enough for you?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi BP: the model (according to Wally Marx book) is one of several slightly different versions; preamp is a 6C8 ... twin triode like a 12AX7 followed by a 6C5 a single triode ... half of a 12AX7 for the phase inverter, twin 6V6s, and a 80 rectifier ... like a 5Y3 or any of the more modern types. Of course, unless one of those metal cans up front is really a capacitor, the ad pic below (and the pic in Marx' book) shows six tubes but he only lists five in his description ... Marx acknowledged being a little overwhelmed by all the models and revisions ... oh well ... :) Yes; I'd like to hear it too.

3nc3k03l65Of5R55S2a184d331cf4bdd21e33.jpg

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I love that cabinet with the painted luggage stripes on it! Amps sure didn't get any better looking over time...

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
I love that cabinet with the painted luggage stripes on it! Amps sure didn't get any better looking over time...
That's for sure! This one seems reasonably priced for its age and condition.

zombywoof

Reaction score
A long time back I owned an EH-100 for bit - picked it up in a flea market for just a few bucks. I recall the little sucker was alot louder than I thought it would be. Broke up real quick. I ended up giving it to a harp player (they just love those little amps that like those that used to come with the lap steel guitars).

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
zombywoof said:
A long time back I owned an EH-100 for bit - picked it up in a flea market for just a few bucks. I recall the little sucker was alot louder than I thought it would be. Broke up real quick. I ended up giving it to a harp player (they just love those little amps that like those that used to come with the lap steel guitars).

Hi Zomby!

Can you tell me a bit more on your experience with this amp?
What guitar did you play (single coils/humbuckers), and what type of sound were you getting?
Did it have this really nice "dirty" blues sound?

Thanks!

Pascal

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
... preamp is a 6C8 ... twin triode like a 12AX7 followed by a 6C5 a single triode ... half of a 12AX7 for the phase inverter, twin 6V6s, and a 80 rectifier ... Marx acknowledged being a little overwhelmed by all the models and revisions ... oh well ...
I guess Wally Marx didn't have access to the Gibson Master Service Manual ... the text in his book doesn't describe the amp in his pics ... :oops: :evil: Below is 6-tube [like the amp in the CL pic] EH100 schematic from the Gibson service manual. Two instrument inputs and one microphone (M). The design only uses 1/2 of the 6SQ7 in the mic channel ... the other half is a dual diode; Gibson used the same 6SQ7 with only the triode side connected as a trem oscillator in many designs including the GA20T. The volume control in the green circle means both channels will have the same volume.

EH100.jpg