GAS detail

spiderman

Reaction score
Been away for a bit, my daughter came by for an extended visit. She is an aspiring songwriter and started on guitar about 2 years ago. Naturally we did the tour of the local shops, spending most of our time at the local "crackhouse" Mass Street Music. She is in the market for a better guitar and really liked an all Koa Goodall and an R. Taylor (still at the store) but of course way beyond her reach. The Goodall sold the day after she played it. I have been having some problems with certain chords (think A) because of my short stubby fingers. She analyzed it as the 1 11/16" neck being too narrow since when I move up the neck the problem is less apparent. As I mentioned in an earlier thread I had tried a Martin J35E before she came, and liked it, and furthermore sounded better playing it.
Soooo...., I now have it. It is not as comfortable as the narrower neck but of course the sound wins, and over time it will feel better. Does this mean I will dump the Guilds, no because I like the way they sound on certain songs more than the Martin, and of course there is key transposition. It is nice to get a simple solution (if expensive :D) of a problem.
I made up a little table of the differences between the J35E and my JF55. Not considering detail differences such as bling, etc. these are what I came up with:
Comparison Guild JF-55 (1997) to Martin Grand J-35E (2009)
UBout width LBout width UBout depth LBout depth
JF-55 12 ½” 17” 4” 5”

J-35E 12 7/8” 17” 3 11/16” 4 ¾”

Body Length Nutwidth Distance E to E Bodyshape Neck profile

JF-55 20 7/8” 1 11/16” 1 7/16” squarer rounder

J-35E 21” 1 ¾” 1 9/16” curvier flatter

Sound – Different PB medium strings, D’Ad on JF-55, Martin SP on J-35E: JF-55 more balanced and more treble: J-35E more bass and louder, strangely sounded muted when capoed at 5th or 6th fret. Of course I am comparing a brand new guitar to one 12 y/o. Note that the Martin is much thinner, but not much apparent difference in weight, may be a little heavier,had no accurate way to weigh the beasts.
URL for Martin's specs: http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/cho ... nd%20J-35E

Harmony H-173 bought in 1960 (retired)
Alvarez AC60S 2008
Eastman AC320ce 2008 BOOKMATCHING BOOKMATCHING WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BOOKMATCHING!
http://www.massstreetmusic.com/store/sh ... id-Cutaway
GAD-JF30E(blonde) 2008
JF55 1997
D25M 1974
Martin Grand J35E 2009