What can I put in this tweed bandmaster cab???

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to grab back the cabinet (no chassis or speaker) of the Clark Tyger I owned up until early last year. The Tyger is a 3x10 tweed bandmaster, and in this case, the cabinet was just as impressive and solid as the amp.

Which leads me to wonder, what could I put in this cabinet? Where do I find chassis sizes and specs for fender tweeds? And a more specific question ... might this cabinet be a good fit for my '58 Gibson GA40??

The GA40 is top mounted, same as the tweeds. Same cab dimensions as the tweed pro (I think) and tweed tremolux. The cab on my GA40 is way beat up. So wondering if I could just get a different bafflle made, probably a 1x15, for the Tyger cab, and adapt the GA40 chassis to fit? I wouldn't think there'd be any mods to the GA40 necessary ... so it would be easy to get it back in stock form if needed. If I could do it, this would be a way to match the GA40 with a 15" speaker, which I've long been curious about.

Is this too wacky an idea?

MD

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Michael; general dimensions for Fender tweeds at The Fender Field Guide (formerly defaulted Walt's Fender parts house ... don't know if the control panel cut-out dimensions are there or not). the GA40 to Tyger cab depends on the distance between the GA40's chassis mounting holes ... does yours take 2 or 4 chassis bolts? If the cab's cut out is a little too short, you'd need to drill a couple new holes which would show if it ever went back in an original cab; too wide and you'd need at least new holes or maybe even brackets of some kind.

Good idea? I think the expression is; 'good if it goes'; I'm sure it would make great home for the GA40 provided shoe-horning it in there doesn't require too much hacking. J

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Gibson sounds like a fun idea if it fits! Otherwise, tweed Pro, Super, and Bandmaster are all the same size.
Another option is to get an assembled chassis from a company like Ceriatone or Marsh, and turn it back into a tweed bandmaster - I know I love mine.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Good advice gents. I just closed the deal. It's too good a cab to let pass by. I'll find something to fill it. The GA40 panel is a little narrower (no problem), but also a little deeper (problem) than the typical top loader tweed. So the GA40 might not work in there. I'll think of something ...

MD

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Had to pass on rehousing the GA40. Just won't fit without altering something.

But since that cabinet is sitting down at Clark Amplification, I started getting ideas. So here's what it's gonna be. Michael C. will create a new baffle for that cab, for 1x15. Then:

-- The amp starts with the tweed bassman circuit
-- Add a fixed/cathode bias switch, on the back panel.
-- Add a presence switch (3 presets) on the back panel (not room for it up top)
-- The Xformers will allow for tube swaps, 6v6 and 6L6
-- I can also swap out rectifiers. Most likely will start with the 5U4G. Can use 5AR4 or even 5Y3.
-- 6v6 can only be used in fixed mode, cannot use the 5AR4 rect, can use the other two.

I'll supply all tubes and speaker. Cool stuff. A big range of tonal possibilities. On the lower power side, it'll be able to run at the tweed tremolux level, fixed bias 6v6. 18 or 20 watts maybe. Or do several higher power flavors of 6L6. Not sure of top power, guessing maybe 40 watts or so possible. Very exciting. Can't wait!

MD

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Any updates here? The Clark cabs are nice - I bought one for a 5E3 kit, and then put a beefed up 5E3 in another Pro-sized cab (shown here):

5e3profronthires.jpg

Sounds like you have a plan for a very versatile rig - how has it worked out?

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff:

I don't have it yet. This is taking forever. Just called in and left a message with Michael Clark. Have all these tubes and things lined up at the shack, ready to test with the new amp. But no new amp.

Thinking I'll start it out in 6v6 mode. Can't wait to hear it. Thanks for asking!

Michael D.