GB's 79RVT "Clone"

Reaction score
So, I've had this thing since about November, but I'm just now getting around to putting up pictures. Every time I thought about photographing it, I ended up playing it instead. This is a boutique amplifier I commissioned from Verellen Amplifiers in Seattle. Ben Verellen is a really cool amp maker and possibly even a cooler guy. We're friendly (now), but I am in no way affiliated.

I put quotations around "Clone", because this isn't an exact replication, but most of it is the same as the original early-sixties Gibson design, which is often considered one of the greatest amps ever created. I thought about just buying an original, put I don't much cotton to ebay, and I am aware the fifty-year-old cabinets can be a bit delicate.

So, the cabinet for this one has slanted baffles instead of the full-on wedge shape. The grills are removable so you can access the tubes, which face out from the chassis. Cool design. It can get a little warm, but I've played it for hours and hours without issue. Otherwise, the main difference between this amp and the original is that the tremolo and reverb are on separate sides of the amp. This being a "stereo" (dual mono) amp, it has two 15W circuits playing out of separate speakers (ten inch Weber clones of the original Jensen alnicos). Ben and I tried it the standard way, which was to have one totally "dry" and one "wet" channel, but we both preferred to have the effects split. It sounds fuller and can get more spacey. It's less restrained than the jazzy original, I think. We also simplified the controls and took out the multiple inputs. Just one per channel. I didn't want too much cluttering the controls.

The whole thing really sounds great. It's my favorite amp I've ever played out of, hands down. The birch laminate enclosure resonates a good deal, so it has a great woody quality. The laminate is a nice midpoint between solid wood and composite cabinets. I find playing and singing solo with this amp is almost like having a second band member because it has such a great presence. Anyway, I like it. Ben took it to a business meeting with Mike Soldano just after he finished it, and I guess Mike was pretty impressed when he played out of it, and it's kind of fun to have that history.

4339287703_dcb63900a5.jpg

4339289575_ced0395c94.jpg

4339291471_ea4c9a0e8c.jpg

4339293375_f291c3f021.jpg

4340044130_1007e564e6.jpg

4340041640_d540ab8ebb.jpg

ps:Ben left on the original RCA inputs down on the chassis next to the hidden power switch, and this is a not bad (though expensive) iPod player.

gilded

Reaction score
Cool looking amp. Plus, all those Sprague Orange Drops on the board must make for a pretty bright sound.

I'd like to hear it. Why don't you post something you've done with it??

gilded

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Caleb and congratulations on the amp, it's a beauty! I see Mr. Verellen adjusted the angle of the speakers for a more focused/less broadcast effect ... gotta love the workmanship. Link to our previous discussion of dual-mono Gibson amps Here Recent eye-popping results from an eBay sale of a GA79 Here .... $4,050 :shock: :shock: You didn't mention the tube type; EL84? 6V6? ... and Webers ... great-looking cabinet work ... I guess it'd be nice to have walnut or cherry but they won't make it sound any better. 8) 8)

Reaction score
You didn't mention the tube type; EL84? 6V6?

Sorry, they're EL84. I think they're all JJs, with a SS rectifier. The tube type and the overall circuit(s) are the same as the original, so the controls are vol/bass/treb. It's a fantastic, simple circuit that really sounds great at any setting (especially with everything cranked), whether you want bright or otherwise. The reverb can get really surf since the tank is pretty large.

I'd like to hear it. Why don't you post something you've done with it??

I've been meaning to make a little youtube video for this--mostly because there aren't any up yet for the '79RVT. Soon.

Recent eye-popping results from an eBay sale of a GA79 Here .... $4,050

I saw that these things were just about always going for over 2K now (though I didn't now that one fetched that). This was even less than 2K and the money went to somebody very worthwhile to support.