How do you know when you have too many amps?

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
When you find yourself selling GREAT amps, is how.

Just said goodbye to my '61 Twilighter (magnatone) 260. As unique and toneful an amp as I've played yet. A totally tasty Victoria 35115 (tweed pro) on the trading block now; the fire-breathing Fender '57 lo power tweed twin RI might follow soon.

Two things going on. My taste for amp sounds doesn't always match up with how frequently an amp gets used, how valuable it is to me day to day. The 260 fell into that category. As good as it was, I rarely gigged it, almost never used it at home. Inexplicable, but undeniable. Then there's the preference factor. The Sewell Wampus Cat (tweed pro variant) has long been my favorite amp. No matter how good the 35115 is, it can't compete. I end up taking the Sewell out.

Finally, a custom Clark build (tweed bassman circuit, only 1x15, cathode/fixed bias switchable, can take 6v6 or 6L6) is on the way. Ultimately, that could make the tweed twin (my big dog amp) expendable.

I'm no collector. I want to try them all, but if they end up not getting used, it's not right. Short of more therapy, a little bit of self-knowledge will do. It's hard to say goodbye to great amps, but seems to be a necessary process.
Thanks for listening!
MD

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
When you're playing your latest acquisition and you realize that you haven't seen or spoken to your wife foe 6 months and her clothes are gone.

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
I can't tell when I have too many amps... I depend on my wife to tell me that.

Actually, after enough years of buying/selling I pared down to the 3 that really get used (for different applications).

Well... maybe 4.

Okay, 5 (not counting the ones in the garage).

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
AlohaJoe said:
I can't tell when I have too many amps... I depend on my wife to tell me that.

Actually, after enough years of buying/selling I pared down to the 3 that really get used (for different applications).

Well... maybe 4.

Okay, 5 (not counting the ones in the garage).

I've got three at a buddy's house - don't forget those!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
When you're playing your latest acquisition and you realize that you haven't seen or spoken to your wife foe 6 months and her clothes are gone.
Typo or Freudian lady's undergarment?

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I was up to 6 amps before the Twilighter sold. One incoming from Clark. I'm talking about this with a guy who may be trading me his Guild for the Victoria 35115. Teilling him I've got too many amps, have to downsize. He says "I'm looking around the basement now ... I count 19."

Damn!

MD

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi MD: we have a member who hasn't been around much recently who told me he had 35 amps. I assumed some were players and the other were collectors or even reference points; bassman, tweed deluxe ... exemplars. Maybe you know you have too many amps when you suffer 'amp confusion' :wink:

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
mad dog said:
I was up to 6 amps before the Twilighter sold. One incoming from Clark. I'm talking about this with a guy who may be trading me his Guild for the Victoria 35115. Teilling him I've got too many amps, have to downsize. He says "I'm looking around the basement now ... I count 19."

Damn!

MD
I just remembered why I don't have a basement. :lol:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
AlohaJoe said:
mad dog said:

Damn!

MD
I just remembered why I don't have a basement.
crybaby.gif

Fixed that for you, Joe.

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Default said:
AlohaJoe said:
mad dog said:

Damn!

MD
I just remembered why I don't have a basement.
crybaby.gif

Fixed that for you, Joe.
Thanks, is it possible to have a basement a wife doesn't know about?
paranoid.gif