Dead Astro Jet in Germany

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
This is one of the cases where the question of the death penalty vs life imprisonment becomes relevant. :lol:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I gotta defend morons. Doesn't "it seemed like a good idea at the time?" resonate with anyone? I wanna be sick every time I see a vintage, pre-1972 SF bass with non-original pickups. What were they thinking when they replaced the Hagstrom with a (now thought to be inferior) Gibson or Guild humbucker? But, when the deed was done, Starfire basses were still in production and the music of the time called for the muddier sound. We don't know which makes and models are going to be lust worthy in 40 years. Should we condemn experimentation and customization now just because something might be the hot guitar of the future?

I certainly agree that, as a matter of taste, the modifications didn't improve the aesthetics for me, but that is just an opinion. I have a younger friend who thinks my stock JS II bass is boring and is anxious to add some stickers, decals and maybe even try a hot new pickup in it. That makes him misguided, in my book, but hardly worthy of scorn :wink:

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
this seller in germany has a very bad reputation in the music scene. he also got some nice guilds, but not only me would never buy from him.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
krysh said:
this seller in germany has a very bad reputation in the music scene. he also got some nice guilds, but not only me would never buy from him.
That is nice to know. He has a refinished JetStar bass that keeps popping up, and even with a possible language barrier, the eBay ad does not give me a good feeling.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
I gotta defend morons. That makes him misguided, in my book, but hardly worthy of scorn :wink:
It's tough job but somebody's gotta do it! :lol: As always, thanks for pointing out the alternative possibilities! You know I agree with that philosophy 100%. I was just muckraking when I slammed him. :wink:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
fronobulax said:
I gotta defend morons. That makes him misguided, in my book, but hardly worthy of scorn :wink:
It's tough job but somebody's gotta do it! :lol: As always, thanks for pointing out the alternative possibilities! You know I agree with that philosophy 100%. I was just muckraking when I slammed him. :wink:
There's some enlightened self interest going on when I defend morons. I've got some gear from the 1970's that I would like to unload but have not figured out what to do about the fact that my SSN is etched on it because engraving SSNs on gear was promoted as an anti-theft measure by police departments in the 1970's. It Seemed Like a Good Idea At The Time :oops:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
There's some enlightened self interest going on when I defend morons. I've got some gear from the 1970's that I would like to unload but have not figured out what to do about the fact that my SSN is etched on it because engraving SSNs on gear was promoted as an anti-theft measure by police departments in the 1970's. It Seemed Like a Good Idea At The Time :oops:
You've got Sub Surface Nuclear gear from the '70s? There's gotta be some kind of special interest collector's website you could unload it on! :lol: Like the guy who sells emasculated soviet bloc fighter jets. I hear he does real good, although I can't seem to find his website just now.... :?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
I've got some gear from the 1970's that I would like to unload but have not figured out what to do about the fact that my SSN is etched on it because engraving SSNs on gear was promoted as an anti-theft measure by police departments in the 1970's. It Seemed Like a Good Idea At The Time :oops:

What type or gear are you talking about? :?:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Default said:
fronobulax said:
I've got some gear from the 1970's that I would like to unload but have not figured out what to do about the fact that my SSN is etched on it because engraving SSNs on gear was promoted as an anti-theft measure by police departments in the 1970's. It Seemed Like a Good Idea At The Time :oops:

What type or gear are you talking about? :?:
Social Security Number - wise a$$ :wink:

Sherwood tuner/receiver, a pair of Advent speakers, a Peavey bass head and a 2x15 Peavey cabinet. I had the good sense to reject the advice for the JS because it already had a legible serial number.

If I were motivated I think a little sandpaper and wood filler would take care of the speakers. The engraving on the bass gear is on black painted aluminum, I believe, so I would have to repaint or explain the silver spot. It is fun to complain although the motivation to do something is somewhat lacking. The Sherwood works but it has been replaced and I'm not sure what the market is. I think one of the Advents needs work but again, it hasn't been used in a while and they are easier to store than sell. I still use the Peavey head when I actually want a bass to sound like a BASS and I see no point in separating the cabinet from the head. Ultimately I will have to deal with the situation but that won't happen until I am playing out enough that it is worth the effort to buy bass gear that comes in under 50 lbs and fits in my car.

That said - make me an offer and I can deliver to Philly :wink:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hmm. I'm thinking dremel and a sanding disk might be able to take them off without too much of an effort. Watch the aluminum dust though. That's bad news.
No room for any more stuff, unfortunately. Functionally, my guitar room is about 8x3. :roll:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Social Security Number - wise a$$ :wink:
Just wanted to see if you were payin' attention! Seriously though, I can understand why you wouldn't want your number floating around out there in THIS day and age...and I can also understand putting off those little "projects"..I've got a 25" Zenith TV with 3/4 of the cabinet screws out now, pending the trip to the OTHER toolbox for the narrower socket driver... but my guitars yell at me louder than the projects on weekends! :lol: