Guitars For Vets

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
After the guitar lesson last week I did "The Ballad of Sam Stone" for everyone, they really appreciated that one.

Well, I've ordered the new guitars for the vets, I'll be presenting them in about 3 weeks now :D Talk about incentive to complete six lessons!

Right now we're practicing a real easy song "Tom Dooley" (D-A7) but at least we're playing a song. The vets are already getting together to practice as a group on their own!

Remember when you first picked up the guitar, how difficult it was to get the fingers on your non-dominant hand to make a chord? We're going reeeeaaaal slow, but progress is being made. The goal is that they will discover they joy of being able to make music on their own, and the joy of being able to share it with others. I'm thinking we might have to have a recital after they get their new guitars, maybe an en masse "Ballad of Tom Dooley" :D

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, and I'm starting to network with other chapters in other states, working with a guy in Denver right now who's just getting started on a program in their Veteran's facility.

I'm also working on a fundraiser, maybe on Memorial Day weekend if we can swing it. We'll have a few bands, some food and libations, sell some T-shirts and hats, take guitar donations, etc.

If anyone is in the greater Milwaukee area, they're holding the National Kick-Off for Guitars For Vets "Rock The Rumble" on Apr. 23. at the Harley-Davidson Museum, 400 W Canal St, Milwaukee

Go to guitarsforvets.org to check it out!

yettoblaster

Reaction score
Thanks for what you are doing! I'm sure you find it rewarding. These types of things elevate humanity to a better level and give me hope in mankind (well, some of it).

Thankyou ALSO for another two chord song (Tom Dooley)!

For years the only one I figured I could teach beginners was "He's Got The Whole World in His Hands" (C and G7), but boy did they howl about the content at UCSC classes I taught!

I'm not about to reprise my teaching "career" (such as it was) today, but grandkids need easy songs too once ya spoil 'em with cheap guitars. Now I have TWO!

fab467

Reaction score
yettoblaster said:
Thanks for what you are doing! I'm sure you find it rewarding. These types of things elevate humanity to a better level and give me hope in mankind (well, some of it).
Thank you ALSO for another two chord song (Tom Dooley)!
For years the only one I figured I could teach beginners was "He's Got The Whole World in His Hands" (C and G7), but boy did they howl about the content at UCSC classes I taught!
I'm not about to reprise my teaching "career" (such as it was) today, but grandkids need easy songs too once ya spoil 'em with cheap guitars. Now I have TWO!
Here's another two chorder submitted for your approval...good luck trying to explain the lyrics. :roll:

yettoblaster

Reaction score
fab467 said:
...good luck trying to explain the lyrics. :roll:

"...'cause there ain't no one for ta give ya no pain..."

What's to 'splain, Lucy?... :wink:

Thanks mucho!

That's it!

Now I MUST go back into teaching. But do I have to explain that "The House of the Risin' Sun," was probably a women's prison in the French Quarter?

And what was Eric Burdon doing there to his blue jeans that they needed sewing?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yetto, that's funny, cause "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands' is the 1st song I taught them, "Tom Dooley" was the second.

Taught the group "E" tonight. Now they know 3 chords, watch out world! Now they can play thousands of songs as well as John Prine's entire reportoire! :lol: :lol:

yettoblaster

Reaction score
dreadnut said:
...watch out world! Now they can play thousands of songs as well as John Prine's entire reportoire! :lol: :lol:

Really?

Then I'm forgetting teaching!

I'm goin' on the road doin' John Prine covers. :idea:

john_kidder

Reaction score
yettoblaster said:
do I have to explain that "The House of the Risin' Sun," was probably a women's prison in the French Quarter?

I'd not heard that it was a women's "prison" except metaphorically - I always thought it was a brothel - have I had that wrong all these years?

john_kidder

Reaction score
Here, from "Songfacts":

• This is about a brothel in New Orleans. "The House Of The Rising Sun" was named after Madame Marianne LeSoleil Levant (which means "Rising Sun" in French) and was open for business from 1862 (occupation by Union troops) until 1874, when it was closed due to complaints by neighbors. It was located at 826-830 St. Louis St.

What a glorious name - Marianne LeSoleil Levant - I would have visited her just for that.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
john_kidder said:
What a glorious name - Marianne LeSoleil Levant - I would have visited her just for that.

Right.

Betty_Boop_wink2.gif
:wink: :lol:

yettoblaster

Reaction score
john_kidder said:
yettoblaster said:
do I have to explain that "The House of the Risin' Sun," was probably a women's prison in the French Quarter?

I'd not heard that it was a women's "prison" except metaphorically - I always thought it was a brothel - have I had that wrong all these years?

OK. I guess I fell for a common fable that the song derived from a wrought iron archway of a risin' sun over a gate that was the entrance to a women's prison in the French Quarter.
TV talking heads are your enemy.

1,000 apologies.

Good song nonetheless, and a lot more than two chords. :roll:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, great song, and 4 chords! We used to do "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun." :roll:

Hey, we're all excited now! One week to go, and all my veteran friends get new guitars! A box arrived on my doorstep yesterday with six brand new Oscar Schmidt OG2N guitars :D Really nice entry level guitars, catalpa sides & back, spruce top, rosewood bridge and fretboard, and tortoiseshell inlay around the entire top and soundhole. Took the first one out of the box, tuned it up, and it really doesn't even need any further setup.

My friend is doing a press release for us this week, depending on who picks it up and runs with it we may get some press or tv coverage next week when I present the new guitars. This is good, as we plan on financially supporting the G4V organization and can use some good publicity.

The weather is just getting nice around here, and one of the vets told me last night "a few of us went outside in the sunshine and played our guitars today." OK, we have success :D

cjd-player

Reaction score
dreadnut said:
A box arrived on my doorstep yesterday with six brand new Oscar Schmidt OG2N guitars :D
That must have been one heck of a box !!!! :shock: :shock:

I bought my youngest son and Oscar Schmidt 3/4 size guitar (OSG-1) a couple of years ago.
A well made, good sounding, easy to play instrument for low $$$$. :D :D :D
It even has lots of fake bling. :lol:

ce blues

Reaction score
Dread,

what you are doing and accomplishing is truly admirable. I'm a vet from that southeast asian war and spent six months in a VA facility, so I know a bit about what I'm saying. They can be alternatively either the most depressing places in the world or sometimes magical places of comradeship and bonding. your guitar classes are a wonderful gift to these wounded warriors; God bless you, Dread.

ce blue