Guild pilot SB602 5 String ?

franki

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm the happy owner of a guild sb602 (4 strings) from '87
and i would like to know if the 5 strings version exist ?
(and what is a "normal" price for this kind of bass ?)

thanks for all info,
Franki

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
Don't know much about basses, but welcome to the European section of LTG!
Markus :D

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
hi franki and welcome to ltg.

the 5-string pilot would be the 605 or 605m (for massive maple body, transparent colours only)
here in europe the price is around 250-700 euro, depending on the condition and situation. on ebay a 602 recently sold for around 170 euro.
in my signature you will find the link to some pics of my modded 605m

franki

Reaction score
krysh said:
hi franki and welcome to ltg.

the 5-string pilot would be the 605 or 605m (for massive maple body, transparent colours only)
here in europe the price is around 250-700 euro, depending on the condition and situation. on ebay a 602 recently sold for around 170 euro.
in my signature you will find the link to some pics of my modded 605m

'cause I like my 602, but i would like to try to play a five string ...
I bougth mine at 350 Euro

I'll take a look to your pic and look at ebay :)

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just for reference, (or drooling :wink: ) here's my SB-605M;

100_6512.jpg

Guild then took the Pilot series another step with the "Pro" series of Pilots. Here's my Pro-5;

100_6516.jpg

Happy hunting!

franki

Reaction score
beautiful :)

could you tell me the differences between your two bass ?

here is a photo of mine:

SB602 87'
guild10.jpg

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
aside the visible things (headstock, cutaway shaping, no. of pots, bridge) the pilot pro 5 is fully active with the EMG BTC built in. the older pilot has the passive tone blend with the emg's. also the pro got the schaller 3d-bridge instead of the older Muller bridge (now ABM). what I'd like to know ist if the string-spacing at the bridge is the same and if the scale lenght is 34" on both.

one bad point for the older sb-605 is the not too strong B-String. it is not so tough with the emg-pickups (I guess). When I bought mine I got the passive pickup version and I noticed a weak B- and G-string. I swapped the old pickups for new Delanos anyway, but when I made a test of the magnetic field of the old korean made pickups, it was obvious that they had used 4-string pickups on my 5-string bass.

franki

Reaction score
krysh said:
aside the visible things (headstock, cutaway shaping, no. of pots, bridge) the pilot pro 5 is fully active with the EMG BTC built in. the older pilot has the passive tone blend with the emg's. also the pro got the schaller 3d-bridge instead of the older Muller bridge (now ABM). what I'd like to know ist if the string-spacing at the bridge is the same and if the scale lenght is 34" on both.

one bad point for the older sb-605 is the not too strong B-String. it is not so tough with the emg-pickups (I guess). When I bought mine I got the passive pickup version and I noticed a weak B- and G-string. I swapped the old pickups for new Delanos anyway, but when I made a test of the magnetic field of the old korean made pickups, it was obvious that they had used 4-string pickups on my 5-string bass.

As i didn't find Guild Pilot 5 string, I bought a Dearmond instead
(i 'll receive it soon)
I fear a weak B, but the price was good and I think about changing the old pickups.

any advice for a new pick ups ?

thanks

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
franki said:

thanks

what pickups does the DeArmond have? my former 6-string had special soapbars I couldn't find replacements for.

franki

Reaction score
krysh said:
franki said:

thanks

what pickups does the DeArmond have? my former 6-string had special soapbars I couldn't find replacements for.

It still on his way to my home :)

but I will copy the ebay add (as your are German, you will understand it better than myself)

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... AQ:DE:1123

Sie bieten auf einen DeArmond Pilot V Bass, der Anfang 2000 in Korea gebaut wurde. Die Traditionsmarke DeArmond wurde 1995 von Fender übernommen, und insbesondere die tollen pickups wurden weitergebaut. Die Pilot-Bässe sind an den Modellen der ebenfalls seit 1995 zum Fenderkonzern gehörenden Traditionsmarke Guild aus den 80ern orientiert Ich habe die Instrumente etc., die ich hier anbiete, selber gespielt (http://www.myspace.com/staubmusik und www.myspace.com/kingscallrock). Da ich deshalb den Wert, die Klang- und die Fertigungsqualität einschätzen kann, gibt es auch keine 0-Euro-Auktion sondern einen für beide Seiten fairen Startpreis oder ein Sofortkaufangebot mit der Möglichkeit eines Preisvorschlags. Der Bass kann gerne in Hannover unter guten Proberaumbedingungen getestet werden. Bitte setzen Sie sich über die e-bay Benachrichtigungsfunktion zur Terminvereinbarung mit mir in Verbindung.

Der Bass funktioniert in allen Belangen tadellos und hat nur geringe Gebrauchsspuren - im vintagejargon würde ich exc+ sagen. Ich vermute, dass er in der koreanischen CORT-Fabrik gebaut wude, in der auch für viel andere namenhafte Marken qualitativ hochwertige Instrumente gefertigt werden. Die Lackierung des Halses und die Hardware, insbesondere die massive Brücke haben eine verblüffende Ähnlichkeit mit CORT-Bässen, die ich in der Hand hatte.

Hier die wichtigsten Merkmale :

crafted in Korea - keine Billigproduktion aus China oder Indonesien

35 ´´ longscale

2 aktie Jazz-PU´s mit aktiver Elektronik - sehr rauscharm

ölgekapselte Mechaniken - sehr präzise

breite Saitenabstände

Rosenholzgriffbrett

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
looks like Jazz Bass Pickups with 4-String size, like the regular pilot.

I have Delano JC 5 HE in my Pilot 5-string and a sadowsky electronic and like it a lot.

you should measure the size of the pickups and then search for suitable replacements.

franki

Reaction score
krysh said:
looks like Jazz Bass Pickups with 4-String size, like the regular pilot.

I have Delano JC 5 HE in my Pilot 5-string and a sadowsky electronic and like it a lot.

you should measure the size of the pickups and then search for suitable replacements.

ok, thank you for your advise

brummpa

Reaction score
Hi Franki,

I would have advised you to wait for a good offer of an old Guild Pilot 5-String.
But anyway ... much fun with your new Baby ...
.. and there are some Pilots with a "good" B String ...
here are my three Babys .... and the 605M (the first one) is a killer

IMG4247a71966e2JPG.jpg

franki

Reaction score
I'm back.

Since my last message I bought my second Pilot SB602 as back up.
It's from 88 and when i compare with my first one (from 87), the sound is some "different"

more "rock" for the 87
more "warm" for the 88

i'm happy with both :)

I didn't play a lot with the DeArmond 5 strings ... the feeling is not the same,
and now, I'm waiting to receive my Pilot 5 strings (from 91) :)

i think i'm addicted :lol:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
franki said:
I'm back.

Since my last message I bought my second Pilot SB602 as back up.
It's from 88 and when i compare with my first one (from 87), the sound is some "different"

more "rock" for the 87
more "warm" for the 88

i'm happy with both :)

I didn't play a lot with the DeArmond 5 strings ... the feeling is not the same,
and now, I'm waiting to receive my Pilot 5 strings (from 91) :)

i think i'm addicted :lol:

Welcome back and thanks for the update.