Can Hagstrom Bi-Sonics Be Rebuilt

PXLated

Reaction score
Long story but I'm now back in possession of my '66' Starfire-1 Bass (#BA413). Played it for 3 years, got drafted, loaned it to relatives. It's in pretty good shape other than the pickup poles are all rusted. If possible would like to get it rebuilt. Possible? If not (and I know they are hard/impossible to find), anyone have one for sale? I believe the only other thing it needs are a few replacement screws (rusted tops) and replacement knobs.

New to the forums - Any and all recommendations, opinions, advice much appreciated!!!

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Welcome!

I would contact Fred Hammon, the creator of dark star pickups

http://www.hammoneng.com

His pickups are based on the original bisonics. I believe the poles are the exact dimensions. Maybe he'd be willing to bring your pickup back to life. If not, I'd recommend getting one of his dark stars. They are amazing. I've owned vintage bisonics and dark stars. The similarities are mind boggling. I believe the only differences that might exist are structural improvements. The tone is pretty much dead on though.

PXLated

Reaction score
Thanks!

Was aware of the DarkStars - seems everyone talks about them. Wasn't aware that Fred may be open to rebuilding if possible.
The only reason I'm interested in a rebuild is I've heard the bass is worth more with the original pickup. Any thoughts on that?

mellowgerman

Reaction score
PXLated said:
Thanks!

Was aware of the DarkStars - seems everyone talks about them. Wasn't aware that Fred may be open to rebuilding if possible.
The only reason I'm interested in a rebuild is I've heard the bass is worth more with the original pickup. Any thoughts on that?

That's definitely true, although I know when a pickup is rewound that causes some collectors to back off... not sure what replaced pole pieces would mean to them though as I guess there's less margin for error there (especially if you can say Fred Hammon did it).

But I do think you have a chance that he'll be open to rebuilding it. If the only problem is with the pole pieces it may not be such a big task for him. It never hurts to ask ;)

PXLated

Reaction score
As you mention, rewinding can screw things up. Seems replacing polls - my novice observation - is less dramatic as long as they know what they're doing. Will have to contact Fred and see what he says.
Thanks again.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Let us know what Fred says, since if he says "No Way" we'll know not to make that suggestion again.

I know you said "long story" but "got drafted" suggests you might be the original owner...

PXLated

Reaction score
Yes, I'm the original owner. Got the Guild in early 1966 and played it heavy for a little less than three years. Loved that bass. That's me (front row, left) with the Guild - http://www.geise.com/marauders/

After the Army, never got back into the music business for various reasons but mainly pursued my design career. Loaned the bass out to a relative and semi-forgot about it. A few years ago my old band was inducted into the MN rock hall of fame and that got me interested in tracking it down. It had been stored in the relatives garage attic for 20+ years. But it must have sat outside the case for quite awhile to get the rust, the case looks like new inside.

Other than the rusty metal it's not in bad shape. Some road rash from when I used it daily and of course fine cracks in the finish but otherwise not too bad. Just need to get the pickup fixed, replace a couple of screws, add some strings and it should be a fine bass once again.

Will keep you posted on what Fred says - will try him later in the week.