Effects chain help

vehement

Reaction score
I just started to get into individual effects pedals for my electrics. Wondering if anyone knows a site or has any insight on the order I should put my effects in the chain (ie Reverb goes infront/after...., Chorus goes infront/after...).

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't know a website for now, but it would be helpful to know what you have.
there is no law for it but usually fx are used in a similar way to this, but in the end it depends on what you like:
guitar/bass-compressor-wah-vibrato/tremplo-overdrive/distortion-delay-chorus/modulation-reverb-amp.
a phaser also is often used in front of the overdrive/distortion.

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
You have to consider the intended result, and how the effects interact with each other. A good example is a wah and a delay.

If the wah is in front of the delay, you play a note while moving the wah, you get a "pwah" sound, the delay hears the "pwah" and repeats it : "pwah pwah pwah pwah"

If the delay is in front of the wah, you play a note "ping", and the delay will repeat the clean note, " ping ping ping ping", and then you can use wah to affect that "ping pong pung poong pang"

I have no idea if that makes sense to anyone but me!

Things that generally should be first in line are dynamic processors like a noise gate or a compressor. If you put a reverb in front of a distortion pedal, the reverb is going to be distorted, too, but it might sound cool.