JS II Evolution

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The first JS II's had two Bi-sonics and the harp bridge. The next variation had a different Hagstrom PU in the bridge position. Then both PUs were replaced by Guild humbuckers. All of this happened between the introduction of the JS II in 1970 and sometime in 1971. Also the earliest versions were sometimes called JetStar in Guild marketing literature although that was quickly dropped in favor of just JS.

Towards the end of production, the bridge was replaced with the bridge used on the B-30x. At the very end, the PUs were also replaced with the PUs from the B-30x. 1977 time frame?

Above should be in roughly chronological order. Posting here for feedback. Not presently concerned with carved version, stereo version and/or long scale version. Also not concerned with the JS I which had headstock variations and, possibly, the faux PU cover.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Just going through the pictures on my parents' computer - the same one I used to use before I got my laptop in '07. Found a guild picture that I don't believe I've ever posted on LTG and which might apply to this thread. This bass was for sale on ebay from a local Hamburg, NY store a few years back. Here she is:
a026_1.jpg

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Excellent example of
fronobulax said:
The next variation had a different Hagstrom PU in the bridge position.
Thank you.

What were they thinking with that slab of metal over the bridge?

mellowgerman

Reaction score
fronobulax said:

My guess is that it was intended to function as a bridge cover like the fender bridge covers... so you could put foam between the strings and the cover for muting

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
mellowgerman said:
fronobulax said:

My guess is that it was intended to function as a bridge cover like the fender bridge covers... so you could put foam between the strings and the cover for muting

Hello Mellow,

That's probably why they did it but I don't think it was done at the factory.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
A lot of Gibsons from that time period have similar bridge covers as well - maybe they wanted to Gibsonize/EB-3-ize it? Some people rest their palms there.

Another question - is the bridge pickup a Hagstrom or a Gibson? Or something else?

danerectal

Reaction score
mellowgerman said:
Just going through the pictures on my parents' computer - the same one I used to use before I got my laptop in '07. Found a guild picture that I don't believe I've ever posted on LTG and which might apply to this thread. This bass was for sale on ebay from a local Hamburg, NY store a few years back. Here she is:
a026_1.jpg

That looks like a less beat version of Dreamlander's. That bridge pickup doesn't have much to offer.

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the values of the pots are on stock JS-II basses?

I want to experiment with some different pickups, it'd be cool to leave the original pots and wiring in there. Sorry to say it but the stock Guild humbuckers don't really do it for me, but I absolutely love how the JS-II plays.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Mental Octopus said:

I want to experiment with some different pickups, it'd be cool to leave the original pots and wiring in there. Sorry to say it but the stock Guild humbuckers don't really do it for me, but I absolutely love how the JS-II plays.
Welcome.
Does this answer your question? 1971 JS II.
JSCCA.jpg

The Starfire II bass wiring diagram here might also be of interest.

The obvious replacement PU would be Dark Stars. Several folks have done that and may be able to share experience and sound clips.

Edit: Actually I just realized it doesn't answer your question since you were specifically asking about the pots. :oops: :oops: I'll see if I can get some time to pop the cover and take some measurements.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Mental Octopus said:
I see a first post! Welcome aboard! :D

Reaction score
thanks for the welcomes!

fronobulax - no need to measure! looks like that Starfire diagram shows 500k pots, i doubt they changed the values for JS-II basses. thanks!

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Mental Octopus said:
thanks for the welcomes!

fronobulax - no need to measure! looks like that Starfire diagram shows 500k pots, i doubt they changed the values for JS-II basses. thanks!
That was going to be my excuse if I never got around to taking the measurement :wink: