A firebird moment yesterday

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
So an old college friend came over to the house yesterday. He had often let me play his '57 LP Special way back then, an unforgettable kindness which helped mold me into the gear slut I've become. Anyway, he'd just picked up a vintage firebird. Had no amp to try it with, so my house was the obvious next stop.

It's a '64 Firebird, the model I? Not sure on that, but it has two minihum types and the Gibson Maestro bridge. Plugged him into my '58 Gibson GA40 with a reverb pedal. Then the two of us were astounded for the next few hours. That firebird tone is ungodly good! Not quite like anything else. Massive, hot as hell. I'm trying so hard not to want that guitar. Best sound of the day was me playing rhythm on the Guild SF VI behind his lead. Beautiful blend of tones.

An interesting aside: He played my red Orville LP Special, which I got finally because of long surpresssed GAS for his original one. Said if felt exactly the same as his guitar, no different at all, and was rather amazed when I told him what the Orville cost.

He borrowed my Gibson amp, went home with that, a reverb pedal and some earplugs. Leaving me behind to clean up all this drool.
MD