Age of DeArmond Starfire Bass?

Reaction score
Hi, all! I'm the proud new owner of a Korean-made DeArmond Starfire bass. :D I'm curious about it's age... when did they make these? I've found no good info by searching except a vague feeling that it's probably from the late 90's or so?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Can't help you with a better date, but welcome. This notes that Fender acquired DeArmond in 1996 and then started making the Guild designs which supports the late 90's.

Reaction score
That helps, thank you! A post here that I found by Google said that they were made in Korea for just a couple of years before moving to Indonesia, so that narrows it down if the post is accurate. Wikipedia is suprisingly lacking.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The DeArmonds were imported after the purchase of Guild, by Fender, so you're barking up the right tree.
I'm not a bass player, (yet)< but the general consensus is a pair of Darkstar pickups and a screwdriver and lowend nirvana is yours!
Welcome to the nuthouse!

Reaction score
Thank you! Feels good to finally be here... I've lurked here and there, looking around for a real basket-case Starfire to mod like Phil Lesh's. (still looking if anyone knows one!)

This one dropped in my lap already complete with the Dark Stars in it, plus a D-Tar buffer and a Bartolini EZQ for each pickup. It's awesome!

bassmyf

Reaction score
The serial # prefix on the Korean made basses begin with KC. The first # after that would be the year of manufacture. I have 2, both serial #s KC903XXXX, making them both from 1999. I know this holds true for first digit 8 and 9. Not positive what happens in 2000.

bassmyf

Reaction score
bassmyf said:
The serial # prefix on the Korean made basses begin with KC. The first # after that would be the year of manufacture. I have 2, both serial #s KC903XXXX, making them both from 1999. I know this holds true for first digit 8 and 9. Not positive what happens in 2000.

To add to my previous post..
After a little research I found that the following 2 numbers are the month of manufacture,
making both of my basses built in March of 1999. Also in 2000, the 7 digit serial # became 8 digit, beginning with 00., so a bass built in say June 2001 would have a # like KC0106XXXX.
Instruments made in Indonesia begin with the prefix IC. Hope this helps.

Jeff