First gig for my new D40

yettoblaster

Reaction score
Today (Sunday AM) I am again sitting in with "Jazz A," in a coffee shop in Aptos.

On July 4, I substituted for the regular guitar player and had a ball playing rhythm duties on my X-150. Didn't even take a solo until the last song, as there was no other chording instrument to back me when soloing, and had such a good time just playing rhythm that I got an idea for today's gig: it was so quiet I figured if I didn't need to solo I could cover the job just whammin' away on my acoustic!

So that's what I'm intending this morning: no amp needed. The place is small and the vocalist uses a minimum mic & amp setup just to fill out the weak notes in his range. The trumpet player uses a mute half the time, and the bass player is using a standup. The other guitar player generally uses a ES-330 so he can cover the solos and low fills and comping, leaving me to chop wood on the D40.

Besides, I've said everything I've ever wanted to say in a solo a buzzillion times. :roll:

Plus, we make TENS of dollars (typically $20/ea and free coffee)! WooHOO!

Next weekend and the following, I'll be back to electric duties with our regular jazz band (The Castaways), up the coast at our semi-regular bar/grill job, but today I will be enjoying playing rhythm only, which I enjoy quite a bit because I love to make a band "jell." :idea:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
yettoblaster said:
Today (Sunday AM) I am again sitting in with "Jazz A," in a coffee shop in Aptos.

On July 4, I substituted for the regular guitar player and had a ball playing rhythm duties on my X-150. Didn't even take a solo until the last song, as there was no other chording instrument to back me when soloing, and had such a good time just playing rhythm that I got an idea for today's gig: it was so quiet I figured if I didn't need to solo I could cover the job just whammin' away on my acoustic!

So that's what I'm intending this morning: no amp needed. The place is small and the vocalist uses a minimum mic & amp setup just to fill out the weak notes in his range. The trumpet player uses a mute half the time, and the bass player is using a standup. The other guitar player generally uses a ES-330 so he can cover the solos and low fills and comping, leaving me to chop wood on the D40.

Besides, I've said everything I've ever wanted to say in a solo a buzzillion times. :roll:

Plus, we make TENS of dollars (typically $20/ea and free coffee)! WooHOO!

Next weekend and the following, I'll be back to electric duties with our regular jazz band (The Castaways), up the coast at our semi-regular bar/grill job, but today I will be enjoying playing rhythm only, which I enjoy quite a bit because I love to make a band "jell." :idea:

$20/day PLUS coffee??? Man, you're a pro!! Sounds like fun Yetti, glad you had a blast.

West

yettoblaster

Reaction score
taabru45 said:
...which one are you again?...

Not the red two-piece!

Oops! Yeah I remember Liar Liar.

We're not THOSE Castaways! Yeah, we know they existed though. We just stole the name because: we have all been fired by the same lousy band leader, who we all had a shot at helping - because he can't play! He's always looking for somebody to wave a magic wand over him and make him a great player. Eventually his expectations give way to resentments, and he hires a new crew.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'd give up $20 just to see/hear you and that D40 Yetto... Seems you had a good Sunday...

yettoblaster

Reaction score
Scratch said:
I'd give up $20 just to see/hear you and that D40 Yetto... Seems you had a good Sunday...

Gee thanks!

Anybody can see me tonight for a lot less than $20, back on my Savoy tonight at Gazos Grill, 25 miles from anywhere on coastal Hwy 1.
We get $50 for the band, and dinner each! :mrgreen:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
yettoblaster said:
Anybody can see me tonight for a lot less than $20, back on my Savoy tonight at Gazos Grill, 25 miles from anywhere on coastal Hwy 1.
We get $50 for the band, and dinner each! :mrgreen:
There you go gettin' paid AND fed again! :lol: Hope it went well!

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Do they have Chinese???? Inquiring minds want to know....Some of us haven't had it all week, others........all year. :wink: Steffan

yettoblaster

Reaction score
taabru45 said:
Do they have Chinese..?

No Chinese food, however sitting in the parking lot out front is a miniature Chinese Junk BOAT!
It's part of the seagoin' and lighthouse motif decorations. Place reminds me of Fort Bragg, or Point Arena (WAY further up the coast)! I'll have to get a picture...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
yettoblaster said:
taabru45 said:
Do they have Chinese..?
No Chinese food, however sitting in the parking lot out front is a miniature Chinese Junk BOAT!
It's part of the seagoin' and lighthouse motif decorations. Place reminds me of Fort Bragg, or Point Arena (WAY further up the coast)! I'll have to get a picture...
Edit: Changed my mind about what I posted. It was culturally insensitive even if only for humor. 8)
Food and girlfriends are still legitimate topics though. :D