The *other* underappreciated archtop

jazzrat

Reaction score
I am such a a fickel beast....thought I was going to be strictly a Fender/bolt neck guy...
then I picked up an amazing MIJ Ibanez semihollow that got me hearing humbucker sounds again...
and wanting more... I sold some stuff and bought FNG's X-170. I could have easily
stopped there as it is terrific but nothing succeeds like excess so.....
I put out some feelers here and elsewhere to trade my Eric Johnson strat for another archtop.
Long story, short, a Heritage 575 Custom arrived last week. More of a Gibson vibe than the X-170
which is to be expected since they are made in the old Gibson factory by some of the same guys.
The two archtops compliment each other pretty well.
The X-170 is bone stock, while the Heritage has Fralin Unbucker pickups. It is also a solid carved wood guitar
with an ebony board and maple neck which further separates it from the X-170 tone-wise.
They really compliment each other very well.
What I love about Heritage is what I love about Guild....totally undervalued just because it
doesn't have a paricular name on the headstock.
Anyway...for your viewihg pleasure.

DSC00525.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

alpep

Reaction score
great guitars at a great value.
I have not owned or played one I did not like

jazzrat

Reaction score
AlohaJoe said:
Beautiful! How would you compare the necks?

They are both 1-11/16" at the nut, a 'c' profile.
The Heritage neck is very slightly thinner. I actually prefer the Guilld neck by a hair.
What I like about the Heritage is the ebony board and larger frets.

P-E-Z

Reaction score
These are way undervalued too.
Ovation Storn Series
I paid $249 for mine back in 1990.

71740022.jpg

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
Walter Broes said:
I realise it's shallow, but I can't get over the Aria Pro-II-looking headstocks on Heritage guitars.

:lol: +1 walter, but they are great guitars, though.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Another underappreciated candidate (I expect) would be Greco's replica of the ES-175. A guy I know has one, from the early 80s I believe, selling it for 900 bucks. I'm tempted, but too many guitars. Haven't seen that particular one, but so many of the MIJ guitars from that time were real bargains.

MD

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
pez said:
These are way undervalued too.
Ovation Storn Series
I paid $249 for mine back in 1990.

71740022.jpg
Pez, just noticed this thread. Great deal, and lucky to find one with your name in the neck!
Brad

MojoTooth

Reaction score
I have only played one heritage but is was super in construction and tone. The guy I watch a lot of lessons from online, Marty Schwartz has been playing his Heritage semihollow for a while now and it always amazes me the tone he gets out of it.