restoring a 302

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
Ive put my 2 guild restore projects on hold for a while. The 302 pups were rare as hens teeth until recently. They are complete minus covers. Any of you folks have a recommendation?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi SC; yeah ... you're killing the bandwidth :lol: It might be easier for someone to help you if they could see the p/u's ... can you post a pic?

Reaction score
I say go topless :wink: you don't need pickup covers for the pickups to work.
to tel you the truth, I didn't even know the pickups had covers :shock: :? Mine doesn't (although that wouldn't be the first thing my bass was missing)

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
ok here are the pups . Im at a loss for covers. I doubt you would have these exposed on a playable bass
IMGP1387.jpg

IMGP0849.jpg

IMGP0855.jpg

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
Kevin says go topless! Im a bit over weight now but........

Yes it is beautiful . I was nice orig finish but I could see there was some nice grain under the mojo so off it came I did manage to leave some vintage crackle in places .
At this point Im going to take some soap bar covers & drill holes . I had done this already to a set of SD Jazz pups so I could finish it . Now I have to do a Jazz project to use up the SD pups :mrgreen: . Ill have to rout the pup holes a bit bigger but I think it will come together nicely. more to come.

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
I was hopin for a little response. The pups are gonna find some covers ,somewhere.M

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
shadowcastaz said:
I was hopin for a little response. The pups are gonna find some covers ,somewhere.M
Sorry. My grandfather used to tell me that it was better to keep my mouth closed and have people think I was a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

More to the point, most of the expertise seems to deal with vintage Starfire basses or Pilots.

Do you have access to a metal shop?

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
My metal shop connection retired . This guy could make anything out of metal! He could weld aluminum like it was butter.. Nope no metal shop . Im going to get some plastic soap bar covers & drill holes

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
shadowcastaz said:
Im going to get some plastic soap bar covers & drill holes

And sell the leftovers as home made guitar humidifiers?

Sounds like a plan. Good luck!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
danerectal said:
fronobulax said:
Sorry. My grandfather used to tell me that it was better to keep my mouth closed and have people think I was a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain?
MY grandfather used to say it was better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you have false teeth than to open it and have 'em fall out... :D