Acoustic Blues in the clubs

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
For the last couple of years I've had the pleasure of playing this 2-night event with Annieville Blues. I consider her to be one of the great Boogie-Woogie and Blues piano artists performing today. The lady puts on one hell of a show:
http://www.annievilleblues.com/index_1076.html

If you're going to be anywhere in the vicinity of Port Townsend and you like the blues, this is a very cool event. It caps off the last weekend of workshops in the Centrum Acoustic Blues Week. At the end of the week, all the clubs in town host faculty concerts for 2 nights for one cover charge and one of the coolest little towns on the planet rocks to the sound of the blues.

Blues in the Clubs is perhaps the signature experience of the Port Townsend Acoustic Blues Festival. On Friday and Saturday night, the artist faculty head to numerous venues in Port Townsend's historic downtown and uptown districts to play sets in all sorts of interesting combinations. http://www.centrum.org/blues/blues-in-the-clubs.html
Annieville Blues, Phil Wiggins, Daryl Davis, Jerron Paxton, Steve James, Lightnin' Wells, Hook Herrera, Russell Rodriguez, George Rezendes, Ben Payton, Terry Bean, Nat Reese, Sunpie Barnes, Del Rey, Suzy Thompson, Gerry Hundt, The Ebony Hillbillies, Robert Jones, Jeff Scott, Washboard Chas, Crow Quill Night Owls.

Port Townsend http://www.enjoypt.com/

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What a bugger, I can't open "music" !! :evil: :evil:

Interesting photo gallery though ! What a lovely photo. of Hubert Sumlin. And boy, Johnny Copeland's little gal ain't so little !!

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Port Townsend's long been one of my favorite places to spend time in our fair state, which is rich with favorite places.
With festivals celebrating a variety of interests, from wooden boats to blues, PT is the place! :D

*And I always think of Debra Winger when the ferry pulls into the dock! :wink:

Joe

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Lots of pictures of last year's workshop week here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ptcentrum/sets/72157623699665438/

Including this shot of John Miller making an impossible chord (much to the surprise of the little guy on the table):
JohnMiller.jpg

And myself at one of the concerts (w the '46 Epi Triumph)
CentrumBlues09.jpg

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
AlohaJoe said:
Lots of pictures of last year's workshop week here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ptcentrum/sets/72157623699665438/

Including this shot of John Miller making an impossible chord (much to the surprise of the little guy on the table):
JohnMiller.jpg

And myself at one of the concerts (w the '46 Epi Triumph)
CentrumBlues09.jpg

:shock: What is that you're playing there Joe? :wink: Is that a Guild? :) Greats shots.

West

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Hi West... I'm playing a 1946 Epiphone Triumph. It's a great swing and blues rhythm machine, and with a 17 1/2" lower bout and a fully carved top and back they're pretty loud. I like to think of the old Epiphones as "Pre-Guilds" since many of the top Epi craftsmen went to work for Guild when Gibson bought them out.

I had my Guild D50 there that week too but didn't use it for that tune.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Yes sir, I suppose you could rationalize that by calling it a pre-Guild.....it certainly was.

West

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Yes sir, I suppose you could rationalize that by calling it a pre-Guild.....it certainly was. West
Yes, Rationalization was my major in college, with a minor in Denial.

I hope you're doing OK down there in the heat! Everything must be air-conditioned I hope. My wife and i just got back from Richland WA and it was over 100. Whew! Seattle weather wimps like us aren't used to that. Thank heavens it was dry!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
AlohaJoe said:
West R Lee said:
Yes sir, I suppose you could rationalize that by calling it a pre-Guild.....it certainly was. West
Yes, Rationalization was my major in college, with a minor in Denial.

I hope you're doing OK down there in the heat! Everything must be air-conditioned I hope. My wife and i just got back from Richland WA and it was over 100. Whew! Seattle weather wimps like us aren't used to that. Thank heavens it was dry!

Oh yes sir, we built a house last year and beating the heat was the top priority....so far, so good.

West

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
It helps that you guys have air conditioners bigger than our cars! :lol:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
AlohaJoe said:
It helps that you guys have air conditioners bigger than our cars! :lol:

We did some other things too Joe toward that end.....put in slate floors and installed radiant barrier decking. For example, yesterday the heat index here was about 110....so you've just got to find ways to beat that.

West

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
For example, yesterday the heat index here was about 110....so you've just got to find ways to beat that.
West
No need to sing the blues here.
It was 72 yesterday with a nice breeze off the bay.
Natural A/C....at no cost to the homeowner! 8)

Joe