Pilot ID

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could help me with an ID on this Pilot. There is no serial and it has A Badass bridge that looks like it was put in originally and early SD active pickups (w/ the wee toggleswitches). Were there any prototypes or does anyone recognize the build?

Pictures are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/AI ... directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dq ... directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Yc ... directlink

Thanks. I got into this mess by not buying a B-302 fretless 20 yrs ago and am still regretting it.
This is one way I'm trying to fix it.

Dan

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. I can't help you on the ID. Pilots are a little later than the time I know best. Grot and krysh both know Pilots very well and I'm sure they will be along soon.

The triangular fret markers are also unusual.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
welcome dan,
as far as I can see it is a late 80's model. but probably with replacent parts.
everything is possible with guild, but I doubt the badass and the sd's are original and I believe it might be a refin.

Reaction score
Hi Krysh and Fronobulax and thanks for the welcome. I'm wondering about the refinish and replacement aspect myself, especially with the wood back panel. However, I can find absolutely no trace of a serial anywhere on the beastie and no evidence of a refit for the bridge. Not having had one of these in my hands for well over a decade, were the numbers stamped, printed and where exactly are they? I've also noticed the triangle inlay on some of the pictures I've seen, but haven't been able to get a good answer for myself on what models they existed on. Nice piece of maple, too. Beautiful flaming.

Thanks,

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
Viellecorvidae said:
Hi Krysh and Fronobulax and thanks for the welcome. I'm wondering about the refinish and replacement aspect myself, especially with the wood back panel. However, I can find absolutely no trace of a serial anywhere on the beastie and no evidence of a refit for the bridge. Not having had one of these in my hands for well over a decade, were the numbers stamped, printed and where exactly are they? I've also noticed the triangle inlay on some of the pictures I've seen, but haven't been able to get a good answer for myself on what models they existed on. Nice piece of maple, too. Beautiful flaming.

Thanks,

yeah, beautiful piece of wood. the ser.-no. usually was stamped on the back of the head.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
krysh said:
Viellecorvidae said:

Thanks,

yeah, beautiful piece of wood. the ser.-no. usually was stamped on the back of the head.

Interesting. Even a refin would not remove the serial number completely, would it? Maybe someone at the factory made this for their own use. I know that employees did this sort of thing.

Dave :D

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
right dave, this makes sense, especially because of the high grade neck with flame and good looking bodywood.