Fender Mellostang III - experiment in bass versatility

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Okay, this all started some time back when I acquired my Fender Mustang bass. I was absolutely blown away by the way it felt and played, but it was sort of a one trick pony and the tone (though a solid one) wasn't really my cup of tea. So, since construction and quality wise this thing was a gem, I knew I wanted to keep it for as long as economically possible - hopefully for the rest of my natural life.
So anyway, as for the tone, I started playing around with it by switching out the stock pickup for a dark star (single magnet, instead of the standard dual magnet design). Awesome tone, but I was interested to see how well the dark star would play with others, so I added the dimarzio model one in the neck position, with a coil split switch which allows me to choose single coil or humbucker mode. Again, awesome sound, but I was still curious about potential for a bridge pickup. That's when I decided to give the DeArmond Turbo Jet pickup a try. Just installed it and absolutely love all the versatility. The whole package is wired up with two stacked concentric pots (volume for each pickup and a master tone) and a mini toggle for the model one coil split.
I thought I'd share all the different sounds with my fellow LTG'ers, so here's a soundclip for y'all. Keep in mind that the clip reflects the flat wound strings, my clanky fingerstyle playing, and the fact that the tone knob is all the way open. So there are still plenty of options in terms of strings, pick usage, different fingerstyle techniques, and rolling off the tone knob. Another aspect that colors the tone in this clip is that this demo was played through my 1972 Fender PA 100 tube head and my custom EV 1x18 cab; and recorded through a standard peavey mic into some cheap audacity recording software. Needless to say it doesn't quite do the in-person sound justice, but you get the idea.

The clip is broken up into the following different pickup selections:

1. model one solo'd (humbucker mode)
2. model one solo'd (single coil mode)
3. dark star and model one (humbucker mode)
4. dark star and model one (single coil mode)
5. turbo jet, dark star, and model one (humbucker mode)
6. turbo jet, dark star, and model one (single coil mode)
7. dark star solo'd
8. turbo jet and dark star
9. turbo jet solo'd
10.turbo jet and model one (humbucker mode)
11.turbo jet and model one (single coil mode)

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=sX6fR6

and of course, here's the photographic evidence:
0830001806a.jpg

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Well, I wish there was a way to identify which clip was which while playing. I got all confuzzled! Which is too bad, cause it's an interesting array of sounds you've posted there. Some are quite sweet.

But, to badly paraphrase MGOD, much of your sound also comes from your technique! And to paraphrase the mighty Happy Face "Uh, doesn't your amp, speaker, cab and the room make a bit contribution as well? Just askin..."

BTW, both sound good to me!

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Thanks, Happy!
If you right-click the soundclip link to open it in a new tab and then click back to the LTG one, you can go right down the list.
Model One is the big humbucker in the neck position, Dark Star is in the middle, and the Turbo Jet is the bridge pickup

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Happy Face said:
But, to badly paraphrase MGOD, much of your sound also comes from your technique! And to paraphrase the mighty Happy Face "Uh, doesn't your amp, speaker, cab and the room make a bit contribution as well? Just askin..."
Sure, obviously. But your hand responds to all those things - its active, they're inert. I.E. no excuses, man.

If your tone sucks its pretty likely not the amp, speaker, cab or the room. Although some rooms and some stages can't be overcome.

Happy Face

Reaction score
mgod said:
Sure, obviously. But your hand responds to all those things - its active, they're inert. I.E. no excuses, man.

If your tone sucks its pretty likely not the amp, speaker, cab or the room. Although some rooms and some stages can't be overcome.

Jeez, what does that guy know? I just read about this pedal that ....

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Happy Face said:
mgod said:

Jeez, what does that guy know? I just read about this pedal that ....
Really? Where can I get one?

Happy Face

Reaction score
Frono - Thanks so much for revealing my secret.