Genesis 2:20 - on the naming of things such as a JS bass

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have often bristled when someone describes a Guild JS bass as a "JetStar". As far as I am concerned a JetStar is the "gumby" shaped instrument from the 60's and a JS is the double cutaway from the 70's. However I am wrong and Hans and Grot have both exhibited evidence showing that Guild sometimes used the JetStar designation for a JS at least in the early 1970's. With that in mind (even if my search fu did not find links to the evidence) I note a 1973 JS II on eBay. The seller includes a picture of the label (on the back of the control cavity cover). The handwritten portions of the label say
Jet Star Bass II Walnut
thus establishing Guild's use of the name as late as 1973. (Not sure how long seller will keep images available, but here goes...)

DSC_0056.jpg

Qvart

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
The handwritten portions of the label say
Jet Star Bass II Walnut
thus establishing Guild's use of the name as late as 1973. (Not sure how long seller will keep images available, but here goes...)

I saw that pic and considered posting it too for the very same reason you did.

As for the picture, I moved it over to Photobucket for posterity's sake. :lol:

DSC_0056.jpg

Speaking of Guild bass stuff, I have a bridge from a B-series (301/302) if anyone is interested. It was going to be part of a project bass I had with missing parts, but I have since found what I needed so the Guild bridge is just sittin' around.

Reaction score
ha! that's actually my auction. unfortunately I have to sell it to fund some other pressing financial obligations, but it's a really cool bass that I wish I didn't have to let go.

If any forum members want to make a deal outside of eBay I'm open to offers! I really do want it go to someone who will appreciate it.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Mental Octopus said:
ha! that's actually my auction. unfortunately I have to sell it to fund some other pressing financial obligations, but it's a really cool bass that I wish I didn't have to let go.

If any forum members want to make a deal outside of eBay I'm open to offers! I really do want it go to someone who will appreciate it.

Good luck. Alas, I have a JS II and just bought a B-50 and my bank account needs to recover.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Necro.

I had it incorrectly stuck in my head that the JetStar for JS last happened in 1971. I was wrong as the rest of this thread shows. But there is one on ebay that is a long scale, "Nature Boy" finish, with serial 83047 which dates to 1973 also. The picture of the label (which I snagged but am not posting) says:

Jet Star Bass II - NB
83047 Long Scale

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
a long scale, "Nature Boy" finish, with serial 83047 which dates to 1973 also. The picture of the label says:

Jet Star Bass II - NB
83047 Long Scale

Hello Frono,

What's even more interesting (to me at least) than the JetStar designation is the 1-pc. maple neck. That's something you don't see every day!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
hansmoust said:
fronobulax said:
a long scale, "Nature Boy" finish, with serial 83047 which dates to 1973 also. The picture of the label says:

Jet Star Bass II - NB
83047 Long Scale

Hello Frono,

What's even more interesting (to me at least) than the JetStar designation is the 1-pc. maple neck. That's something you don't see every day!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

I missed that but you are right. I don't recall many maple necks.