Let's talk China....

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
In another thread, I was talking about the recent acquisition of a China made (but designed in America as the label says 8) ). It's a Recording King RO-127, 000 body style with vintage features, Here are the specs:

MODEL: RO-127
BODY SHAPE: OOO-Style
TOP MATERIAL: Solid AA Grade Sitka Spruce
BACK MATERIAL: Solid East Indian Rosewood
SIDE MATERIAL: Solid East Indian Rosewood
TOP BRACING PATTERN: X-Bracing
TOP BRACES: Fully Scalloped Spruce
NECK MATERIAL: 1-Piece Mahogany
NECK PROFILE: Vintage V
NECK JOINT: Dovetail
FRETBOARD MATERIAL: Ebony
SCALE LENGTH: 24.9"
# OF FRETS CLEAR: 14
# OF FRETS TOTAL: 20

NUT MATERIAL:
Bone
NUT WIDTH: 1-3/4"
HEADSTOCK OVERLAY: Rosewood
HEADSTOCK INLAY: M.O.P./Abalone "Torch" Design
TUNING MACHINES: Open-Geared Butterbean
BODY BINDING: Grained Ivoroid
ROSETTE: B/W Vintage
TOP PURFLING: Herringbone
FRETBOARD INLAYS: Mother of Pearl
FRETBOARD BINDING: None
BRIDGE MATERIAL: Ebony
BRIDGE SHAPE: Standard
SADDLE: Bone
BRIDGE PINS & ENDPIN: Ivory with Abalone Dot
PICKGUARD: None
FINISH: Natural Glossy

As you can see, pretty impressive specs. when you consider the online price of $600.00.
I just finished the set up on it and loaded a little clip, inspired by a work list from Ridge :wink: . It is an impressive value on the paper, but the sound is "boxy" and not nearly as rich as my Martin 000, much narrower bandwidth I must admit, but the price is one third (I got mine new on Ebay for $405.00). It's very good looking and seems very well built, the only "flaw" being a very visible seam on the back, and no binding, despite a wood strip on the inside....
Icing on the cake is they come with a lifetime warranty! :shock:
Scary.... But that's until you hear it though. It sounds tiny. :(
Here's the audio clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf9uCkwA3yw

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I was kind of assuming the book only makes an appearance when a Guild is being featured!

Nice job, bluesy. Doesn't sound as good as some of your other guitars, but still good.

The DV52 is still my favorite, I think.

Dave :D

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
Doesn't sound as good as some of your other guitars, but still good.Dave :D
Agreed. It sounds tiny next to the others.
Comes to show there is more to making a good sounding guitar than materials. :wink:

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Great pickin, as always. Guitar sounds pretty good. I'm sure will open up and get even better.

FWIW I came close to buying a RK, slope shoulder, spruce/mahogany, sunburst dread. Lookin for that J-45 thing and the Recording King seemed pretty damn nice. Great sound and look. The Orville by Gibson in my sig got the nod instead.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Even and Joe.
Yeah, the jury is still out on that RK....
The wide neck was a challenge for that tough piece. And maybe I should have given Big Bill's number a little more than 3 days worth of work on it before putting it out. :oops:
But listening to it afterward, it does feel like I'm not getting much help from the guitar, I will say that, just to make myself feel a tad better :lol: .
I did a sound test with the Martin on the same tune, and the result is night and day.
So I'll give it a little more time and testing with different strings, and maybe I'll move it if it keeps not convincing me.

How does that j45 sound Even? I've always been tempted (how original!) by that guitar.

The book... Yeah, like Dave said it's a Guild contractual obligation.
Hans threatened to sue me if I displayed his book while playing another brand. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
204084 said:
Lemme tell ya...I think this is the best yet. Whats the name of the tune? Sumpin about a pig struttin' ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, the pig ain't struttin' no more:

sxhime.jpg

Thunderface

Reaction score
twocorgis said:
Great stuff! Where's Hans' book Pascal?

It's a "not there, there, not there" situation with Hans' book on the top shelf over BP's left shoulder, in his Youtube vids.

Noyesno.jpg

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You'll notice TF, I cleaned the mess up on the lower left shelf after July 17th.... the S-100 sounded so good I neglected the background! :mrgreen:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thunderface said:
twocorgis said:
Great stuff! Where's Hans' book Pascal?

It's a "not there, there, not there" situation with Hans' book on the top shelf over BP's left shoulder, in his Youtube vids.

Noyesno.jpg

Well, my theory has been shot down in flames. :roll:

Dave :D

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
TF, why does August 29 say "no book"? :eek: :shock:
.... I would expect a little more accuracy in your reports...
:lol: :lol:

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
bluesypicky said:
How does that j45 sound Even? I've always been tempted (how original!) by that guitar.

I've liked the J45 sound and look for a long while. I like that bright bold tone. Nice contrast to the rosewood dread rumble. The Orville by Gibson version that I have needed a bit of tweaking when I got it. Plastic saddle was replaced with bone. Started with 80/20 strings that seemed a bit to harsh and metallic sounding. On a rosewood dread I like the extra sparkle the 80/20's deliver. On the J45 phosphur bronze seems to give the bottom end a bit more punch. Still plenty of mid range and top end w/o the harsh tone of the 80/20's.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Hey PASCAL!!!!

I was wondering when you were going to post clips of the RK, but they just never came. Now I see you posted it here. :D Fitting since it is not an almighty Guild I guess. I read through your first post and completely forgot about my post on a different thread:
Ridgemont said:
Vicious veer we have here. I have been working on Bill Broonzy's Shuffle Rag. Pretty quick fingering so good practice.
:lol: :lol: :D That is a fun song isn't it? :D It is way faster than what I am used to so I am still working on the speed. Super job my friend and great finger work.

As far as the guitar goes, you are right in that is a little tinnier than the Martin. I will have to go back and listen to both to hear the differences though. Not bad for the price though.

Thunderface

Reaction score
bluesypicky said:
TF, why does August 29 say "no book"? :eek: :shock:
.... I would expect a little more accuracy in your reports...
:lol: :lol:

Oops. I'm nothing with a copy editor.
Noyesno.jpg