JS1 and JS2 ?

frettedstrings

Reaction score
LTG BASSISTS:

I am not a bassist, just a humble acoustic guitar player, but my 10 year old son has been talking about playing bass guitar. I told him that we should look for a GUILD Bass. I understand that there are Guild JS1 and Guild JS2 Solid Body Bass Guitars. What is the difference between the two? Are there other solid body Guild Basses?

-frettedstrings

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Generally Guild would use I for the single PU version of a bass and II as a suffix on the double PU version. So, in general, the only difference between a JS I and II is the number of pickups.

The first Guild solid body bass was the JetStar. There is a modern DeArmond reissue. Next was the JS. Pic of my JS II against a very cluttered background here. These are short scale. Guild made several other solid bodies in the late 70's. Too numerous to mention but Grot has pictures here. The pinnacle of Guild solid bodies was the Pilot. If someone asks what Guild bass to buy today, the answer is usually a Pilot unless there is a need for short scale, vintage, or the growl that only comes from the Hagstrom PUs in a Starfire or M-85 which are both hollow bodies.

That should get you thinking about more questions to ask :)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
frettedstrings said:
That is generally called the Ashbory bass. It has been discussed and you may search if you'd like.
ashb.jpg

Note the size. I think it would be correct to say that while it is a bass, it is not a bass guitar. It is fretless, has a scale length of about 20 inches and strings that are "like rubber bands". It is an instrument I personally have never tried and have no interest in trying unless someone else let me borrow one.