My 3 String Lap Dulcimer

frettedstrings

Reaction score
I Got My 3 String Lap Dulcimer Out This Afternoon And Found Some Extra Strings That Would Fit (.011, .014,.023) and tuned it up. I Like The Aeolean Mode the best (.023 @ D , .014 @ A , and .011 @ C). Of course, if you don't know already, the Lap Dulcimer is fretted with 1/2 and 1/4 steps in mind, which is consistent with modal music. I figured, since I got it all cleaned up and tuned up, I'd show it off with a few pictures.

MountainDulcimer1.jpg

100_6472.jpg

MountainDulcimer2.jpg

MountainDulcimer3.jpg

I bought this little gem at a little music store on the campus of The University of Minnesota "Dinkytown", for $35.00, in 1992. At the time I didn't know anything about Lap Dulcimers, but for $35 I couldn't pass it up. I really haven't played it out in public as I am usually playing acoustic guitar. One of these days, I will, though !

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
frettedstrings said:
I bought this little gem at a little music store on the campus of The University of Minnesota "Dinkytown", for $35.00, in 1992. At the time I didn't know anything about Lap Dulcimers, but for $35 I couldn't pass it up. I really haven't played it out in public as I am usually playing acoustic guitar. One of these days, I will, though !
Nice little musical oddity to have around the house.

Speaking of Dinkytown, I wonder if that "little music store" is the same one I found while I was working at the UM hospital in 1985. :shock:
Either way, that's where I bought my all-time favorite guitar strap, which I still use today!

Small world, ain't it? :wink:

Joe

alpep

Reaction score
I love the appalachian dulcimer I have several all mine are 4 string