LTG Member Reviews

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Those of you who read other sections may have noticed that there is an effort going on to capture user reviews in a common format and in one place. I copied the format from an acoustic guitar template and reviewed my Starfire I. In the process I decided that it wasn't necessarily all relavent for an electric bass.

So:

I have included the format below. If anyone has any suggestions for tweaking it so that it makes more sense for an electric, feel free to discuss here.

Also consider adding reviews of your basses in the appropriate section, either now using the template or in a few days once the template has stabilized.

Scratch said:
How long have you owned the DV-72:
Year & specific model:
Purchased new or used:
Price paid:

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality
Looks
Projection
Bass
Mids
Highs
Sustain
Playability/comfort
Dependability
Fingerstyle
Flatpick
Strum

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Favorite Strings (one selection only):

Would you buy another if lost/sold:

Overall Assessment:

Most Appreciated Characteristic:
Least Appreciated:
Favorite DV-72 Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments:

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
I think it sounds like a good idea Frono. The form could definitely be modified for electric bass as you say. I gave it a shot:

Model:
Year:
Purchased new or used:
Price paid:
Owned since:

Rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Looks:
Sound:
Electronics:
Build Quality:
Playability:
Comfort:
Sustain:

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Favorite Strings:

Would you buy another if lost/sold:

Overall Assessment:

Most Appreciated Characteristic:
Least Appreciated:
Favorite Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments:

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I like the idea of flatpick/fingerstyle being in the bass review... I've had basses that sound great fingerstyle and horrible with a pick

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
mellowgerman said:
I like the idea of flatpick/fingerstyle being in the bass review... I've had basses that sound great fingerstyle and horrible with a pick
I suppose that means you play both ways? :wink:

But yes, if it makes a difference to a player then we can restore it.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
mellowgerman said:
I suppose that means you play both ways? :wink:

But yes, if it makes a difference to a player then we can restore it.

Yup. I play mostly fingerstyle, but in the one band I play in currently, the pick just "gels" for most of the songs

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
That's an interesting point - might make sense to add "slap" too - thinking more of the Pilots than the Starfires in that case...

Personally, I would just say "pick" and "fingers" - I have always utilized both, and have never really thought of it as a "flatpick" - that term strikes me more as an acoustic guitar technique, in distinction to "fingerpicking". The only electric bassist I'm aware of who played with a thumbpick was Jack Blades of Nightranger...

Could also add something about weight...

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
hieronymous said:

Balance or tendency to nosedive? Except perhaps, with Pilots, I doubt that it varies much among specimens of the same model but sometimes it is a noteworthy feature. Ease of playing while seated? I'm thinking off Flying Vee shapes which aren't although I can't see it as a differentiator between any production Guilds I can recall.

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
hieronymous said:

Balance or tendency to nosedive? Except perhaps, with Pilots, I doubt that it varies much among specimens of the same model but sometimes it is a noteworthy feature. Ease of playing while seated? I'm thinking off Flying Vee shapes which aren't although I can't see it as a differentiator between any production Guilds I can recall.

Yeah, actually weight could actually come under "comfort".

I was thinking too, it might be nice to give space for soundclips.

I was wondering - where would these reviews go? Would there be a sticky in the bass section? How are they handling it in the other areas? I rarely poke around the rest of this forum...

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Check toward the bottom of the main index, review section is already there

Good call on the "slap" part. I don't do it. Used to, but just can't get into that sound anymore. I like me some thick, groovy flatwound bisonic goodness :)

hieronymous said:
fronobulax said:
hieronymous said:

Yeah, actually weight could actually come under "comfort".

I was thinking too, it might be nice to give space for soundclips.

I was wondering - where would these reviews go? Would there be a sticky in the bass section? How are they handling it in the other areas? I rarely poke around the rest of this forum...

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
mellowgerman said:
Check toward the bottom of the main index, review section is already there

Good call on the "slap" part. I don't do it. Used to, but just can't get into that sound anymore. I like me some thick, groovy flatwound bisonic goodness :)

Thanks, did not see that! I'll have to put up a review of my fretless M-85 II one of these days.

I don't slap much either these days. But when I do, it's with flatwounds believe it or not! Either on an Alembic or Alembic-pickup-loaded Fender Telecaster Bass.