Harp Guitar

dane

Reaction score
For a long time I’ve wanted to add a harp guitar to the collection, but the price was always a problem. Even an unplayable wreck can fetch $2000. Also it’s not like you can go to your local Guitar Center and pull one off the wall. No one has been mass producing them for at least 75 years, until now.

I was lurking around in the AGF when I found a post with a link to Holloway Harp Guitars. Apparently a new venture from an importer from Idaho. With a price tag between $1200 to $1500, it puts it more in the range for folks on a budget, (like me).

I have no doubt that having one made by a Luthier is a much better instrument, and should be, but for an entry level piece these might do well. From what little I have found on the internet on the Holloway’s, so far the reviews have been favorable. I'm putting one on my list in the #2 slot. 12 string Guild comes first.

Here is a treat if you never heard a harp guitar played. Greg Miner is one of the best. This is from his 1996 Christmas CD. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xHbZSCONHs&feature=channel_page

Link to Holloway Harp Guitar website.
http://www.hollowayharpguitars.com/harp_guitars.html

Hey, it's all about make'n music...right?!?

Dane :D

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Very cool instruments, those harp guitars. I've never actually seen one played until your youtube pointer, dane. Thanks!

dane

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Glad I don't have to tune one.
The twelve string, (the one I’m interested in) is the most common, but I have seen them with twenty to thirty strings. Now that would be a tuning nightmare.

pier_harpguitar.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
<veer>
My scariest tuning nightmare is a viola de gamba.
images

Note that the frets are effectively strings wrapped around the finger board. Not only do you have to get the strings in tune, but you have to make sure the frets are properly positioned. And the frets do move while playing! If that is not enough, the wooden tuning pegs are a PITA to adjust.

john_kidder

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
<veer>
My scariest tuning nightmare is a viola de gamba.
images

Note that the frets are effectively strings wrapped around the finger board. Not only do you have to get the strings in tune, but you have to make sure the frets are properly positioned. And the frets do move while playing! If that is not enough, the wooden tuning pegs are a PITA to adjust.
I have an Gambian "Kora" back in Vancouver, like this one:
koraplayer.jpg

The strings are heavy nylon monafilament fishing line, tied to rawhide rings that are braided around the long stick of a neck. It's tuned, supposedly, by tiny incremental movements of the rawhide rings. Not by me - I have never figured out how to tune this thing. I have heard them played, beautifully, at the Vancouver Folk Music Festival, but it eludes me. It's the only instrument I have that is strictly a wall hanging. Shame on me.

Frono: as to the viola de gamba, I've thought for a longtime about getting one - the sound of the cello is so lovely, but I've always thought that with my ear, I'd be missing the intonation all the time on the fretless fingerboard. Then I heard a friend play a viola de gamba at a Bach recital, and thought that might be the one for me. Do you get to play yours, or do you find the tuning difficulties too much?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
john_kidder said:
Do you get to play yours, or do you find the tuning difficulties too much?

Alas I don't own one. I spend several hours discussing the instrument with my son's cello teacher who does and plays it professionally. And I sprinkled it with experience tuning my son's cello. Did you know there are "Early Music" groupies but you really don't want to "encourage" them in any way?

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
That was beautiful. Thanks Dane. a very lovely and peaceful sound, and great looking too! I'd love to have a good look around that room he is in........some real gems are on the wall, and I'd bet he can play them all.....Beautifully. I'll share that one with the family here.
First time Ive actually heard one played also. I've seen them in many photos from around 1900. Glad they are being made again.

spiderman

Reaction score
I would love to try one on. I don't finger pick any more but maybe the "normal" strings strummed and the sub bass strings thumb picked could be interesting. Unfortunately at $1500 K for a cheapo, that will be unobtainable. They don't exactly pass through even high end shops in droves.
Here is my favorite piece on a harp guitar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jERYGt7Pc90
I'd give my left nut to be able to play like that, for all the good its doing me :roll:

Harmony H-173 bought in 1960 (retired), Alvarez AC60S 2008, Eastman AC320ce 2008 "Hybrid", Guild GAD-JF30E(blonde) 2008, Guild D25M 1974, Martin Grand J35E 2009, Martin D12-20 1970, Martin OM-21 2009, Voyage-air VAOM-06 2010
"I'm glad there are a lot of guitar players pursuing technique as diligently as they possibly can, because it leaves this whole other area open to people like me."
Richard Thompson