Johnny Cash: I like his last recordings the most

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
All great songs there DH, nice Vids too. All 6 American recordings are fantastic albums, as well as the "unearthed' box set. Monumental is right. That's one hell of a way to wrap up a long career.
He gives those songs such power and potency, that just listening to them is a rich experience. Great stuff for sure.

learnintoplay62

Reaction score
I'm a Johnny come lately , er I mean I only started really enjoying him in the later part of his career. So be it I still think he was a great singer/ guitar player. :)

Dr. Spivey

Reaction score
Johnny's final years produced some very fine music. I have all the American Recordings and play them frequently. 8)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
One of the greatest ever, and one of the greatest love stories as well.

Frosty

Reaction score
Dr. Spivey said:
...the American Recordings ...

+1 on that. Cash delivers Won't Back Down with more gravitas than Petty, IMNSHO. Just last night we saw a trailer for the new Coen brothers film (my favorite film makers) and I'm sure I heard the Man In Black on the soundtrack.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Same here on both the American Recordings and the Coen brothers. I have all the recordings and all their movies for those rare slack times!

For me, Johnny's voice with just his guitar is as perfect as it gets. :wink:

Joe

BurstD55

Reaction score
And of course Johnny knew good guitars as well!
d60-cash-2.jpg

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Great photo Burst, I haven't seen that one.
Long time J.Cash fan here too, and as such, I have some great Johnny Cash related memories, like Mom and dad singing Jackson as a ironic duet ( it was actually very funny), Dad giving mom the Folsum prison album album, and her rejecting it hands down, foolishly not agreeing with his songs for prisoners stance ( I scored that one as one of my first albums, Loved it! Played the grooves out of it, but STILL have it), getting caught singing boy name Sue in the mirror ( Very embarrassing!) , seeing Neil Young for the first time when he appeared on the JC TV show and sang Needle and Damage done ( WOW), reading his book as a young man, and heaps more,
Then, Like so many of us, he just went on the back burner, other aspects of life took over. I dug the Highwaymen, but between 75 and 90, he was out of my thoughts.
Then, In the early 90's I saw the First American recording come up for sale. 'Cool cover' I thought , 'I want to hear what he sounds like these days'. So I bought my first JC CD ( I have inherited all the vinyl).
Well, having no expectations of that album, I assumed it would be more of the old JC type of song and delivery. Boy was i wrong, it was all that, and so much MORE. DEEPER , Darker, more direct, Richer ( and ultimately "enriching", for so much can be gained by really taking in these songs for consideration and to heart.)
I was restoring a stairwell in the house ( a quiet, tedious job) when i first put that CD on, so I was really able to Listen to it. I was simply WOWed! Just him and the sparse guitar, and powerful songs. I was in awe, and hooked. Each American Recording ( the 5 disc 'Unearthed' box set is a must if you enjoyed these albums) has been a treat, a gift of sorts, and have continued to 'give' me allot of insight and strength, peace and understanding. Powerful music no doubt.
and delivered by a master. Perfectly so.
Just playing those songs and singing them myself is an experience, but Listening to them, is a rare musical treat.
What a life! What a gift to leave behind....for all of us!
Thank You Johnny Cash!

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have to confess that I had never listened to Johnny Cash before.
But these few clips are simply beautiful, great and powerful music. I think I have to get me the the american recordings and unearthed.
anybody willing to send me a christmas present? :mrgreen:

thanks a lot for sharing, my dear professor.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
While we're on the subject of JC, let's not overlook the 2-CD set called Personal File.
It's JC and his guitar, telling stories and singing songs you've never heard him sing, recorded in the intimate setting of his home studio.

Use headphones and sit back.... :wink:

Joe