Pete Seeger's guitar comes back

tjmangum

Reaction score
My head is kind of dizzy on this... how does Martin make a commemorative edition of a guitar they didn't originally make way back when. Does Ford get to make an edition of a Ferrari? Pete deserves all the recognition in the world, but this is a bit strange to me.
Terry

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
tjmangum said:
how does Martin make a commemorative edition of a guitar they didn't originally make way back when.
I think if you read the fine print, what they are commemorating is 60 years of the organization "Sing Out". As I read it, they very carefully avoid saying that this is a Pete Seeger model or implying that it us just like what he played.

I'm kind of reminded of some of the collectible industry stuff where they pay to use a logo and then can slap it on all kinds of stuff no one knew they needed. For some reason commemorative Colt M1911's engraved to commemorate just about anything you can think of come to mind.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, they were generous with their praise, so I don't think anyone's toes are being stepped on. You know what, though... I think the shape is the Grand J, which means this is probably not a difficult build for them since they already have side benders, etc. for it... What do you think?. Oh, and see our own 'Strang's blueprint on this http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.y ... ly-1128784 :

Beginning in 1973, Connecticut luthier Bruce
A. Taylor built the first of several 12-string
guitars for Seeger based on Francis’ original
design, making modifications and
improvements with each succeeding
instrument. Bruce Taylor’s generosity in
providing information about Seeger’s 12-
string guitars has been invaluable in the
creation of these Sing Out! 60th Pete
Seeger Custom Artist Editions and C. F.
Martin & Co. acknowledges and thanks
him, as well as Carl Apter of the
SingOut! Board of Directors, for their
assistance with the project.

alpep

Reaction score
so the first guitars were crap and the 2nd luthier had to keep changing the design since his were probably crap?

so is martin making the one that falls apart? or the improved one? or

never mind

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Al you crack me up! I sure hope that at over 5Gs they don't fall apart, but at a 27.5" scale, you gotta' wonder a little. This sucker is supposed to be tuned down to C or Bb... Still, that's a lot of tension at that scale length..

I'd love to play one.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Well, I had the pleasure of briefly holding one of the original two many years ago...and later one of the second set...both interesting guitars...that had not yet self destructed.

Think of them as Baritone works in progress, with all of the inherit technical difficulties.

And remember that the constant playing, touring stresses don't count as normal usage...and I'm sure Pete didn't travel 1st class...

Now, much as the sound of a Bari is wonderful to my ears...the Bari long scale certainly does not fit my hands...any questions, check the avatar... :lol: :lol: :lol:

So I'll have to leave it to you guys with the more appropriately sized digits to deal with the actual playing. :wink:

Martin might possibly have one at NAMM this year...maybe catch you there Al

charliea

Reaction score
I was a big fan of Seeger, but I never thought his guitars sounded very good. I do know that the odd soundhole shape caused all sorts of bracing problems and instability. Oh, well. If you've got the money, honey, why not?

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
I think if you read the fine print, what they are commemorating is 60 years of the organization "Sing Out". As I read it, they very carefully avoid saying that this is a Pete Seeger model or implying that it us just like what he played.
And Sing Out and Martin are offering one as part of a fundraising effort:
http://www.singout.org/donate.html
Brad

Ridgemont

Reaction score
alpep said:
so the first guitars were crap and the 2nd luthier had to keep changing the design since his were probably crap?

so is martin making the one that falls apart? or the improved one? or

never mind
that must be why you get a lifetime warrantee......like the man....like the show.....but you must really like Seeger to spend over 5K on something so goofy looking. Must be for collectors.

alpep

Reaction score
it is all about collector's I bet the guitar does not sound that great but I will try it at Namm and let you know (if they have one there)

I always loved the lennon LP jr with the charlie christian pickup.

when they do a tribute guitar I wanted one bad. but at 6K I decided I would never play it out since I would be afraid it got a nick on it

soooooo

I took a hamer lp jr put in a CC lollar pickup and love it play it all the time sweat on it, stink it up, ding it up and don't care.

I prefer to enjoy my guitars rather than look at them

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
They had both the 6 and 12.

Scale too long for me.

Did you try them?

alpep

Reaction score
I tried the Seeger guitar at Namm

I'll say it is just not for me.

really hard to evaluate in those conditions though