More Dave G From NAMM

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:)

I don't know how folks will receive the satin neck (and in some cases the different profile/width). But, I guess the point is that there are now more choices to be had. With the cutaways, I can see a wider appeal for these guitars. In some ways, this mirrors what Taylor did in 2006. They essentially cut down their product line into something more manageable (at the time) by doing acoustic/electric series different than pure acoustic. Taylor has since had a real explosion of products, and far more broadening of their product line, but the concept seems quite similar to what our New Hartford buddies are doing now.

My prediction is that the Standard Series will outsell the Traditional Series in short order. But that's just me guessing. It all depends on the distribution channels and what the dealers want to carry.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chazmo said:
:)

My prediction is that the Standard Series will outsell the Traditional Series in short order. But that's just me guessing. It all depends on the distribution channels and what the dealers want to carry.

I would certainly have to agree with you Chaz. I was really disappointed with the NH D40 that I bought from Ron's Guitars a while back. The Adi top just didn't get it for me as it seemed like it would never open up. It might have been a great candidate for a Tone-Rite (well, assuming those work), but it definitely needed something, as it sounded like a transistor radio (or even a Taylor :shock: ) compared to some of my others. I remember thinking that during LMG the three best guitars I played were the GSR F30, and the D40 and 50 Standard Series. Looking back, I'm guessing it was the Sitka that made the difference, at least in brand new guitars anyway. I know a lot of smart people that swear by Adi tops so there must be something to it, and I guess it's age an playing that make it for them. I guess they're just not for me. :roll:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wonder if I should trade in the 212XL for a CE version?!?!? :D :D :D

I'm trying to remember the last time there was a USA-built cutaway jumbo 12.... Anyone know?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
learnintoplay62 said:
I like em all, now I just wish I could find one to play :x

Mee too. Other than NYC forget about it around here, and even then they're few and far between. :?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
I'm trying to remember the last time there was a USA-built cutaway jumbo 12.... Anyone know?
Of course not. You should have one of each for the complete range of possibilities. Oh, I get it now, you were just kidding. :D

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
adorshki said:
Chazmo said:
Of course not. You should have one of each for the complete range of possibilities. Oh, I get it now, you were just kidding. :D

No chance of trading it, Al. :) My Connie is a gem. All I can say is that the New Hartford folks are continuing to carry the Guild torch beautifully.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yeah, but how do they *sound*? Five minutes of talking about them, with no playing...

walrus

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
walrus said:
Yeah, but how do they *sound*? Five minutes of talking about them, with no playing...

walrus
Walrus, give Union a call and see if they're ordering one!

Jane and Al are the only folks I know from here who made it to NAMM. 'Sides, from what I understand, you probably can't hear yourself think there, let alone make a nuanced review of tone. :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Good idea - last time I was in, Union had several new Guilds. I liked them a lot, but not more than the one I already have. It's nice to have a Guild dealer nearby!

walrus

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
... I'm trying to remember the last time there was a USA-built cutaway jumbo 12.... Anyone know?
Hi Charlie; I recall that Kottke was a Bozo player ... strike that ... that Kottke played a Bozo guitar for a while and I think there's at least one Youtube vid of him playing a cutaway Bozo ... anyway, the gentleman is here in the US but this sure looks like a one-off: More here. Could use a little more bling ... where's the turquois?

AM4575.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Good golly, that's one fancy-shmancy Bozo!
I'm gonna have to get another paper route ... maybe cut one more lawn a week to afford it.