Guild Price List from 2001

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Interesting indeed Sandy !

Oh how I wish that I had bought ( in 2003 ) a Custom Shop Valencia ! The US price translated to NZ $7000 - plus at the time. I nearly did it but, in the end bought an F47RCE Corona second for NZ $3200.

And, I clearly remember the man in the shop mentioning around US S17000 for those top of the line Benedetto's !

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Oooh babay! Thanks Sandy I actually printed that out for my own little stash of "collateral".
Price lists were great sources of info on details about things like the wood used. Note, for example, that for all the questions recently about "Adi" vs "Sitka", the only specs are "AA" or"AAA" where appropriate, or "very select" in the case of that "La Venezia".
I also note an interesting detail about the D25: It's showing "morado" fingerboard which I first saw on a D4 spec sheet.
Also note note you can tell which models came "with case", as that question's come up recently.
A treasure trove of minutiae for detail freaks like me!
Hey Darryl, you watchin'? :D

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
Interesting indeed Sandy !

Oh how I wish that I had bought ( in 2003 ) a Custom Shop Valencia ! The US price translated to NZ $7000 - plus at the time. I nearly did it but, in the end bought an F47RCE Corona second for NZ $3200.

And, I clearly remember the man in the shop mentioning around US S17000 for those top of the line Benedetto's !
Kinda puts a new slant on the talk about Guild trying to "remake" itself as "boutique brand", don't it?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
OK, re the popular "when did they start using Adi?" question, dug around on that site a little and found the SUMMER '05 price list...no mention of "Adi":
http://www.jedistar.com/pdf/Guild_Price ... r_2005.pdf
It finally gets called out in the winter '07 list for D40 and D50 Bluegrass models:
http://www.jedistar.com/pdf/GuildWinter2007.pdf
Note the corporate address in Scottsdale is the only address shown on those two catalogs.
Looks like the "summer '05" list is actually be the "winter '05" list since it's dated "January '05", so it must be based on Corona production while it's an obvious Tacoma make on the front of the '07.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hard to know whether the price list information is informative on this question, Al. But, it probably was the transition to Tacoma when these changes were instituted (just a wild guess).

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Hard to know whether the price list information is informative on this question, Al. But, it probably was the transition to Tacoma when these changes were instituted (just a wild guess).
True enough. But at least it validates my memory that I never saw "red spruce" mentioned in their lit until Tacoma production. And I suspect it would have been mentioned if it was being used, since it seems to be a "selling point". But, as we know both know, it is just speculation. I would say "educated guess" though as opposed to "wild guess". :D

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:)

The only reason I question this is based on what I learned from the guys in New Hartford... If I heard this right what happens is that a change order gets drawn up by the product engineers and then gets put in the hands of the manufacturing folks. These change orders don't necessarily take effect quickly. We were told that there was a backlog of these in Tacoma, but an example of stuff that did get phased in would (I think) be the change from twin truss rods to a single rod in the 12s, or the addition of the side-mounted strap button...

Whether or not the change from Sitka to red spruce was done this way and when it was adopted I don't know. Also, when it would have made it into the price list / catalog is anyone's guess.

So, "educated" might be too strong a word, Al. :D

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
TC,

Thanks for posting. I can hear it being downloaded and emailed all over the world.
---------------------------------------------------

rondack,

Thanks for the pm. I would have missed this otherwise.

After you told me about arched lid cases and flat lid cases, I looked through my jpgs and saw that from about 1987 through 2000, there were two kinds of cases. The arched lids all had the Big G logo with GUILD written in an upside-down V, and the flat lids had just "Guild" written out in script/handwriting like the labels on some of their 80's solidbodies.

Sandy's post will help people get the right case, especially in the future when more people start collecting 90's Guilds.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
:)

The only reason I question this is based on what I learned from the guys in New Hartford... If I heard this right what happens is that a change order gets drawn up by the product engineers and then gets put in the hands of the manufacturing folks. These change orders don't necessarily take effect quickly. So, "educated" might be too strong a word, Al. :D
The real question is if that's the way things were done in Corona, although I would say that's probably very likely as it's a very common and efficient way to phase in production changes in many different products. We'll sidestep the debate about whether or not quality is aways sacrificed for the sake of production economy. (I'm not in that camp though)
All I ever have said for sure though, is that Guild never made a mention of "red spruce", in any of the lit I've ever seen, BEFORE Tacoma production.

Ian

Reaction score
Thanks for the price list Sandy, I've copied the file to a safe place. Excellent information.

Cheers, Ian