Alvarez 12 string

kdavid

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
so, i was at a pawnshop & found this Alvarez AD60s/12 for just a couple hundred without case. i just couldent help myself. one quick setup & set of strings later & i just cant put the thing down.
its not the Guild i was jonsing for, but for the price i just couldent say no.
it plays so easily & really sounds good. just cant wait to see how it'll sound with a set of mediums tuned down to D. i might even give it a matched course of G's just for fun, like my first 12 string had years ago.
5587229027_5cdfeb737f_m.jpg

spiderman

Reaction score
I posted this on the UMGF 12 String Cafe about 10 days ago, IMHO its very apropos:
"Today I had a chance to try a Seagull Coastline Cedar 12 at a local store. I was very impressed, playability was excellent despite the chunky neck, nice mellow tone which may not appeal to some. I have been very impressed with inexpensive 12s, they are so far improved from similar '60s 12, much easier to play. I have tried Fender, Alvarez, Yamaha and now Seagull, all easy to play and all under $500 retail. Tone of course is not the same as the higher end 12s, but excellent for what they are, in fact I could recommend any for a beginner given they try one first. The Seagull and Alvarez would be my choice over the other two, both were the higher ones closer to $500 . I notice the Seagull is a votegetter on this thread. certainly would do as beaters for those who need a beater 12."
I should add the Ovation 12 I tried was pretty good also.

Harmony H-173 bought in 1960 (retired), Alvarez AC60S 2008, Eastman AC320ce 2008 "Hybrid", Guild GAD-JF30E(blonde) 2008,
Guild D25M 1974, Martin Grand J35E 2009, Martin D12-20 1970, Martin OM-21 2009, Voyage-air VAOM-06 2010
"I'm glad there are a lot of guitar players pursuing technique as diligently as they possibly can, because it leaves this whole other area open to people like me."
Richard Thompson