NGD.....Ok I'll say it .....Martin DRS1

12stringer

Reaction score
Well guys and gals....I went and put the down payment on a Martin DRS1 annd she is home with me as I type this. I know I Love Guilds but this little mama just won't quit....she has the tamed down warmth of an all hog and m,man is she deep! I am beside myself! Strummed she is harmonius and picked she sings like an angel's harp. Ok ok ...I know....you must be thinking....12stringer has gone off the deep end getting himself mixed up with that Martin crowd, but all I can say is ...ya but this Martin is different! Honest!
Since I could not afford to get a jumbo Guild 6 string and I need a 6 string fast as I am getting ready to play coffee houses, I thought I would check out what was available on monthly payments at my local music store.....it was a toss up between a Larrivee D-02 (Spruce over Hog Dreadnaught) and the Martin DRS1 which they brought in for me to try all the way from Saskatoon. The Martin just slightly edged out the Larrivee which was a sweet guitar as well. The Martin cost less, came with a pickup with volume and tone control and is an all solid wood guitar except for the stratabond neck which feels and sounds just great! I think Martin hit the ball out of the park with this one.
So there we have it...I have one of the world's best 12 string F212xl and an awesome 6string! Lookout coffee shops here we come!
:D
Martin_DRS1_-_200.jpg

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Congrats Randy!

While I really hate Martins, most others around here have quite an admiration for them so I think it will be just fine. We will need pictures of the guitar by the way.

On a more serious note, I have always said that Martin does not how to put together an all hog guitar even in this case with the DRS1 being sapele instead of hog. Both woods sound the same and the only real difference between them is looks with sapele having an even distinctive striping. Martin seems to have the market on the affordable all hog/sapele guitar and they have done very well. I sure love mine!

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice score, Randy. :D

Be sure to keep us informed of any upcoming coffeehouse dates!

12stringer

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It really is an extremely well balanced and deep sounding 6 string. For the price I don't think there is another brand that can compete and sound as good. I am not a big fan of the Taylor entry level guitars as they are too bright in the mids for me and although they sound great finger picked, strummed they sound very clashy (to my ears). Because of the Sapele top, this Martin sounds sweet when strummed and clear when finger picked....just what I was looking for....also the treble strings sound full and bell like (not thin). The Guild Jumbo 6 string has these same qualities and then some....but for under $700, the Martin will do the job until I can afford the Guild.

I will let you know when the coffee house dates start....right now I am teamed up with another guitar player/singer and we plan on starting as soon as we have our songs picked out and polished up. Another practice this Sunday.

Ridge, I took a few quick pictures. I see you have a Sigma....I used to have the same model and it was a great little guitar!
And now for the pictures 8) :D :wink:
DSC07003.jpg

DSC07002.jpg

DSC07001.jpg

DSC07004.jpg

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Randy, that is one beautiful guitar. Martin did a superb job pricing an all solid wood guitar that low. My favorite thing about Martin's all hog/sapele guitars is the bass. It has this dry woody echo sound to it that you just do not get with a spruce top equivalent. Just very unique and inviting.

Yeah, that Sigma was my starter guitar. I like the idea of having a classical around but the neck is warped and the action is very high. No truss rod in that model either. Currently it hangs on the wall like a decoration.

One more thing, keep us up to date on the gigs. Pictures too! :D

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Martin???? Is this yet another Asian guitar factory sending its stuff on the US market?
Arghhh.... seems like there's always a new brand poppin up every day!
Congrats on the new gueet anyhow... :lol:

PS: We love our Guilds round'here, but I know exactly how you feel as I've been known to stray occasionally... :shock: Enjoy it!

12stringer

Reaction score
Hi Ridge
My Sigma was a GCS2, not the classical version that you described....more like a Martin small bodied guitar. Great fingerpicker.

Hey Bluespicky...ya them pesky Martins are turning up everywhere on the market....no threat to Guilds though (imho) :D