Another shout out for vintage Peaveys

Thunderface

Reaction score
Before I fell hard for Guilds, I was a vintage Peavey man, having accumulated a dozen, including three T-60s. Then Guilds came along and I sold my Peaveys to buy more Guilds. But the thing that always amazed me was the quality of the Peaveys for the price. A T-60 in very good condition can regularly be had -- with case -- for under $400! American-made in Meridian, Miss., for under $400!

So I stopped over at Twin Town Guitars in Minneapolis at lunch to check out a sunburst T-60 with a rosewood fingerboard that I saw advertised online. Plugged it in to make sure all the electronics worked and was simply stunned by the condition. The guitar, a 1980 model, either hadn't been played much, or whomever played it took extreme care of it, for it was practically markless. I didn't see the original HSC, but it does have one.

Oh, and the price? $350!

srT60.jpg

The T-60, introduced in the late 70s, was the first guitar whose bodies and necks were shaped using CNC routers. They also had innovative electronics where the tone knobs, turned from 7 to 10, provided single-coil tones, while turned down from 7 to 0 provided humbucking tones. And there was a phase switch for when both pickups were active.

Like I said, I've owned four T-60s, and this one was as fine as any of them. Maybe it's time to go back to Peavey again, just this once.

5T60s.jpg

The '79 honeyburst T-60, you might recall, is the one I traded for the '77 S-100 which I recently sold to caseygree, who is in the process of having it refinished in antique white. Do you have an update for us, Casey?

TonyT

Reaction score
I'm expecting my unplayed 94 Predator will offer me a comfy retirement.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
TF, as I told you before, Peavey guitars (and basses) of the 80's impressed me more than once. Very underrated indeed.
At this price, grab it! :evil:

icedlatte

Reaction score
Cool, nice to see some peavey love on here. I have an HP Special USA that I really like as well. Pretty nice guitars, sadly not much heard about them.

Thunderface

Reaction score
It's amazing. Ycan get a vintage USA-made guitar of outstanding quality with a hardshell case for $350. Even if you do it just to have a decent backup, it's well worth it.

IMAG1627.jpg

IMAG1629.jpg

IMAG1631.jpg

Guild Dawg

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have posted before on this subject and now will do so again. I got my Peavey T-60 after rigorous research into vintage electrics, looking for a solid guitar at a reasonable price that I could take to bars and not worry about damaging (unlike my '62 Gibson ES-330). It's versatile in terms of the sounds it can make (without any pedals or effects at all), and if I get into a jam, it's bulletproof and can be wielded like a club. If you play out in clubs, I highly recommend picking one up.

Thunderface

Reaction score
What you said, G-Dawg! :wink:

Here's a question: What happens when your sunburst/rosewood T-60 gets wet? Answer: It shrinks.

IMAG1629.jpg
DSCN0364-1.jpg

Jack FFR1846

Reaction score
I guess I should start kicking myself now. I passed on a T-60 for $100 asking price with the original molded plastic case.

Thunderface

Reaction score
For $100, yeah, that would have been a major score. But don't worry, they're always around, maybe not at that low of a price, but definitely for vastly undervalued prices.

Ravon

Reaction score
A little rough around the edges but I'd take it anytime if I wasn't so darn broke :(

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
I had one that looked like the natural finish '82 in the pic above. It was a great sounding bass to my ear and I liked the neck too, but it was a little heavy for me. The friend I sold it to still uses it in the studio... fortunately he's a better bass player than I am. :lol: