Sad News in the Country Music World

ladytexan

Reaction score
It is sad news. Glen has been a country music icon for so many years. Godspeed. Here is a video about his upcoming Goodbye Tour. If you don't get a little choked-up....well......you will.

His last album, Ghost on the Canvas, comes out this week. Here is the title track. He's still got it at 75. ::::softsmile:::::

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sad news, indeed. I've always been a fan of his music. Toni, I was a little afraid of the link because the way you introduced it I thought it was going to be sad or maudlin but.... it's a nice little summary of his great career and about the new album. Nothing sad about that at all. Very positive and upbeat. Good job, Glen!!

I think part of being a great star is knowing when it's time to step away from the spotlight. Let's see how he does. God Bless ya, Glen!!

ladytexan

Reaction score
davismanLV said:
Sad news, indeed. I've always been a fan of his music. Toni, I was a little afraid of the link because the way you introduced it I thought it was going to be sad or maudlin but....
I guess just seeing him through the years and now he has Alzheimer's....and knowing we won't see or hear him after this tour...... had me tear-up a bit. :cry: Might be a chick thing.....might be I've just been maudlin lately, Tom.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Toni, I don't think it's a chick thing so much as a human thing. I get like that myself. Sometimes my emotions run a bit too close to the surface and the least little thing will set me off. I can blubber like a _________. (fill in the blank)

Obviously, today isn't one of those days. It's just terribly sad and Alzheimer's is such a creepy disease. It just robs you of your humanity. But, all that aside, he's had a great run and an amazing career. I'm glad you posted the link. It was a really nice retrospective with a "looking forward" feel to it. Thanks again. :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Glen's positive attitude about his illness is a model for everyone. Even though it is sad news, you have to admire his determination. Ever since the Goodtime Hour I have been a fan of his, I'm looking forward to his new album.

walrus

elasticman

Reaction score
just read today that Pat Summit, the famous women's basketball coach also has this horrible disease. She's only 59.

ladytexan

Reaction score
walrus said:
I'm looking forward to his new album.
walrus
Me, too, walrus! From the promo video, it sounds like it's a collaborative album with lots of input from some great musician/songwriters. :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It's like he continued to get better with age - his last album, "Meet Glen Campbell" I thought was one of his best ever, and now this one is also excellent! I am bummed that this is going to be his last album...

walrus

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Read a review in the local paper, said that the band had to prod him a little bit and keep him a little focused. Apparently, he tended to ramble between songs more than he used to, however his chops are just as good as they ever were.
Never put off seeing legends when they are touring - you never know if you will ever see them again.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's an excedllent point, default. As we get older, we tend to forget that these guys (and gals) are also aging, some more gracefully than others. That's why I went to see Paul McCartney a few years ago, as well as Crosby and Nash. Although they are just pushing 70, as you say, you never know.

I have tickets for a show with Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman (from Yes, for those who don't know) together in November, another pair of aging rockers doing an "acoustic", "story-telling" tour. I'm looking forward to it.

walrus

kyguild

Reaction score
If anybody gets a chance, I would urge them to take in one of Glen's farewell tour performances. i was able to see him a couple of nights ago, and it was great. He can still tear it up on the guitar and he still has the vocal chops, too. He was extremely upbeat during the whole show, and you could just tell he was really enjoying the whole thing. He had two of his sons and a young daughter in his band, and they are pretty impressive musicans and vocalists in their own right.

The show just really seemed to be a celebration of his life and the great songs he has played...no sadness or anything, just happiness. A couple of standing ovations, and when he finally stood arm in arm with his kids and all of the band and took a final bow....it was really touching.

KY

PS...along with all the Fender electrics, Ovations, and Adamas instruments you would expect, the rhythm guitarist was playing what looked to be a new cutaway dreadnaught Standard Series Guild...it sounded great.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the report, Charlie. Glen's a legend no doubt. He's playing at Town Hall in NYC tonight, and I got shut out for tickets as I didn't know about it soon enough. :(

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
kyguild said:
If anybody gets a chance, I would urge them to take in one of Glen's farewell tour performances. i was able to see him a couple of nights ago, and it was great. He can still tear it up on the guitar and he still has the vocal chops, too. He was extremely upbeat during the whole show, and you could just tell he was really enjoying the whole thing. He had two of his sons and a young daughter in his band, and they are pretty impressive musicans and vocalists in their own right.

The show just really seemed to be a celebration of his life and the great songs he has played...no sadness or anything, just happiness. A couple of standing ovations, and when he finally stood arm in arm with his kids and all of the band and took a final bow....it was really touching.

KY

PS...along with all the Fender electrics, Ovations, and Adamas instruments you would expect, the rhythm guitarist was playing what looked to be a new cutaway dreadnaught Standard Series Guild...it sounded great.

Great post KY. Nice to hear firsthand about the show. What a legend...

ladytexan

Reaction score
Nice article (The Tennessean) about Glen's last performance in Nashville this past week with a photo gallery. Still sad...but, what a great ending.....singing and playing his guitar with his kids on stage with him. :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Glen is playing at a great venue near me this Wednesday. I really wanted to go, but am under orders by my doctor to avoid crowds for another week - bummer!

I have his new CD in my car right now ("Ghost on a Canvas"), it is great - as you said about his tour, the CD is also somewhat "reminiscing" and "celebratory". I highly recommmend it!

walrus