New (Kim) Walker @ Mando Bros...

hideglue

Reaction score
...and, naturally, it is purely stunning.
So if any of you have been waiting for a chance, HERE it is.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow. That's all I can say. Even if it was a short-scale, I still couldn't find that much money. Amazing looking guitar and I'm sure the sound it heavenly. That's for the link, hideglue!!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
$27,500? No guitar is worth that much; I don't care how good it is. Yeah, I'm cheap...

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
twocorgis said:
No guitar is worth that much
Since "worth" is determined by the purchaser, we will see. I now know two of us who won't pay that price. :wink:

The attempt to describe the sound of the guitar is making even me blush:

...The sound of this instrument is nothing less than exquisite, spectacular -- it commands great clarity and string-to-string separation but it does from a proscenium of smooth flowing lyricism, a backdrop of aural lushness ...

Playing it, the sound seems to come off the strings even before your fingers pluck the waiting wires. The sound is sensuous, verdant, abundant, opulent and ambrosial. The player’s mood, no matter what he or she was thinking as they took guitar in hand, becomes exuberant...

It will reverse those qualms and substitute a balm, cast off those troubles and bathe you in bubbles...

Note: BOLD text added for my benefit, so I'll remember to embellish my next guitar sale in like manner. :D

Christopher

dklsplace

Reaction score
I've not had the good fortune of playing a Walker guitar but know folks who have. The waiting list is something else, & I know at least one person who was ecstatic to finally get their very own.

hideglue

Reaction score
Christopher Cozad said:
twocorgis said:
No guitar is worth that much
Since "worth" is determined by the purchaser, we will see. I now know two of us who won't pay that price. :wink:

The attempt to describe the sound of the guitar is making even me blush:

Stan's signature narrative *is* hyperbole. I'm sure even Kim is cringing.
The guitar will sell in short time, as Kim's guitars always do.

kitniyatran

Reaction score
twocorgis said:
$27,500? No guitar is worth that much; I don't care how good it is. Yeah, I'm cheap...
If it were a mandolin, maybe, but still not in my bug-debt.

Sure is pretty, though.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
hideglue said:
The guitar will sell in short time, as Kim's guitars always do.
...Thus establishing it's worth.

I'm still reeling from "sensuous, verdant, abundant, opulent and ambrosial" and wondering how my Guilds have let me down. :cry:

Then I think about those poor saps imprisoned with "off" (read: non-Guild) brands and I feel better. Remember, as my Uncle Olaf used to say, "If you think you've reached the bottom... just look down!" :lol:

Christopher

Ravon

Reaction score
Clapton and Gere just auctioned all of their guitars just to purchase a Walker....really

Ravon

Reaction score
Thats what Eric told me when I was jamming with him the other night

RussB

Reaction score
$27,500? Why not just round it up to $28,000, heck, make it an even $30k :lol:

Way out of my blue-collar pocketbook's range

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Considering vintage Brazilian Martins go for the same price and more, I am not surprised that this guitar from that luthier cost that much. What is more surprising to me is that if you were to order a custom guitar from Walker, they start around $7K, and the wait time, if you were to buy today, is 7-8 years before he could even start the build.

ladytexan

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about the $27,500 price tag for this Kim Walker guitar, and I’ve come to a few conclusions. There are a few reasons why one pays X-amount of money for a guitar:

1. Sound. But I will ask, just how finite must one’s discerning ear be that would equate to a produced sound worth $27,500? I would like to discuss this with a few Stradivarius owners.
2. Playability. Aside from telepathically-enabled chord playing, this is still a relatively finite area, as per #1, i.e., how good is good.
3. Choice of woods.
4. Craftsmanship.
5. Status of owning. Case in point, there is a $40,000 ladies alligator backpack purse that the stores can’t keep in stock. Go figure.
6. $27,500 = $3600. What I mean is that money is relative. I chose $3600 because that’s the top price for a new Guild. So, if all things were equal, that seems to be a fair price to pay for a great guitar. Whatever the low-end value is, it’s based upon ones availability of money and resources.
7. Crazy.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
ladytexan said:
I’ve been thinking about the $27,500 price tag for this Kim Walker guitar, and I’ve come to a few conclusions. There are a few reasons why one pays X-amount of money for a guitar:

7. Crazy.

There, I narrowed it down! :lol:

You might include one more, though:

8. You're so dang rich, that $27,500 is like $2750 to us mere mortals. My boss is like that...

Seriously, I have a hard and fast cutoff point of $2000 for a used guitar, maybe slightly more for a new one. Once you get beyond that, you enter the realm of diminishing returns rather rapidly.