Yowza! '85 LP Deluxe

Russian Guy

Reaction score
I wonder if it sounds as good as it looks. Could Gibson experts chime in? I heard Gibson had a "decreased quality" period similar to Fender, 1975 to 1982 ("Norlin era" I think) when their guitars tended to be hit or miss.

Ravon

Reaction score
Russian Guy said:
I wonder if it sounds as good as it looks. Could Gibson experts chime in? I heard Gibson had a "decreased quality" period similar to Fender, 1975 to 1982 ("Norlin era" I think) when their guitars tended to be hit or miss.
Thats what I've always heard too. I can't comment on the Gibsons but I owned a '75 Strat (bought new). I was only 15 at the time but never really could 'bond' with the guitar. I seem to remember the thing wouldn't stay in tune with some action problems. A friend had a 60's Strat that played like a dream, sounded better and overall a more 'solid' guitar than mine. I thought at the time it was because mine was a maple neck and his had a rosewood 'board. Wish I still had it though $$$

Russian Guy

Reaction score
Ravon

Olivia's Vintage can definitely shoot some drool-provoking photos of the guitars they carry. I remember they had a carved S-100 that was just a real candy. What I noticed they carry primarily Excellent/Excellent+ condition instruments.

Ravon

Reaction score
That was the nicest Deluxe I've ever seen. Oh well, theres always three or four guitars (mostly Guilds though) a year that pique my interest as much as this one did :)

Russian Guy

Reaction score
Ravon said:
That was the nicest Deluxe I've ever seen. Oh well, theres always three or four guitars (mostly Guilds though) a year that pique my interest as much as this one did :)

That's good thinking. This way we won't have to draw away from hunting down Guilds:)

kakerlak

Reaction score
My take on '70s Gibsons:

I think the knocks mainly stem from changes in construction specs, like more pieces of wood being used for bodies and necks, changes in stuff like back-angle on headstocks, the bizarrely narrow nuts on early '70s SGs, volutes on headstocks, etc. A lot of it is just stuff that departed from tradition and from the 50s/60s models that are so heralded, something probably exacerbated by the introduction of weird new models like Marauder, RD, Corvus, etc. The other thing that happened in the '70s is the humbuckers began to sound increasingly muddy (I always found the very late '70s ones to be the absolute worst).

All the above aside, I do not feel that fit and finish quality really waned in the '70s the way it did w/ Fender. Pretty much all the '70s Gibsons I've handled are well-made and play nice and slick, whereas I've seen some really wonky stuff on '70s Fenders (which departed much less from tradition, spec-wise) before.

In the end, I think a lot of the complaints against both brands can be simplified to a "they don't make 'em like they used to" argument, that really meant different things for each brand.

I would once have recommended '70s Gibsons as a fairly good bargain that could be very satisfying guitars with the right replacement pickups. 15 years ago, prices seemed about right for the utility of the instruments ($500-$1,200 depending on model and condition). These days, though, the market on '70s Gibsons (Fenders too) seems so inflated that it's hard to justify the prices against stuff like Guilds, G&Ls, etc.