What Do You Do When Your Guitar Is Stolen

ladytexan

Reaction score
I, recently, bought a ’96 D25-12. It was in great condition except it needed to have the binding re-glued. So, off I go to take it to luthier, Ross Jennings (IMHO, one of the best luthiers…period...luv you, Ross 8)) for the repair work. I posted the addition of the guitar on the ‘count’ thread – which was noticed by Hans. He was researching about this model and asked for the S/N and headstock and neck block stamp. Of which, I didn’t have. I didn’t record the information down before taking it to Ross. Duh!

Combine this with a recent thread on the Acoustic Guitar Forum (AGF) about the guitars that were stolen from Willie’s Guitars and Guitar Rodeo (both located in MN) and the posting of the S/Ns had me thinking. What info should one have to assist the authorities if a guitar is stolen.

Now, if one has a special insurance policy for his/her guitars, all of the required information would be on file. No problem. But, many folks don’t have special insurance coverage and might not have some helpful information recorded that would be needed to recover a guitar.

This is what I would imagine would be needed:

1. Brand, Model Number
2. Year of Manufacture
3. Headstock and neck block stamps
4. Any identifying characteristics, i.e., burst, electric (if acoustic), tuners, etc.
5. Pictures of the guitar (especially, to show any nicks, dents, or scratches that could be of use in identifying the guitar)

What have I missed? What are the best websites to post if one’s guitar is stolen?

I am putting my guitar files together….immediately. :shock:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Toni, you could always ask/call your luthier to provide that info back to you for your files. So that way you have all info available now.
I had previously asked if we have a section at LTG for stolen gear and can't remember if there was any follow up discussion, I need to search. I think there is a bunch of stolen Guilds out there somewhere and a list with date makes sense if somebody sees one on CL or the Bay. But that list also needs to be maintained in case guitars are recovered, so the entry would need to be deleted.
Ralf

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ladytexan said:
I, recently, bought a ’96 D25-12. It was in great condition except it needed to have the binding re-glued. So, off I go to take it to luthier, Ross Jennings (IMHO, one of the best luthiers…period...luv you, Ross 8)) for the repair work. I posted the addition of the guitar on the ‘count’ thread – which was noticed by Hans. He was researching about this model and asked for the S/N and headstock and neck block stamp. Of which, I didn’t have. I didn’t record the information down before taking it to Ross. Duh!

Combine this with a recent thread on the Acoustic Guitar Forum (AGF) about the guitars that were stolen from Willie’s Guitars and Guitar Rodeo (both located in MN) and the posting of the S/Ns had me thinking. What info should one have to assist the authorities if a guitar is stolen.

Now, if one has a special insurance policy for his/her guitars, all of the required information would be on file. No problem. But, many folks don’t have special insurance coverage and might not have some helpful information recorded that would be needed to recover a guitar.

This is what I would imagine would be needed:

1. Brand, Model Number
2. Year of Manufacture
3. Headstock and neck block stamps
4. Any identifying characteristics, i.e., burst, electric (if acoustic), tuners, etc.
5. Pictures of the guitar (especially, to show any nicks, dents, or scratches that could be of use in identifying the guitar)

What have I missed? What are the best websites to post if one’s guitar is stolen?

I am putting my guitar files together….immediately. :shock:

I keep a spreadsheet of my gear, including make, model, and serial number. I also have photos. I've been thinking it would be handy in case of an insurance loss, which would include theft. I don't carry any special insurance policy or rider for my guitars, although I probably should.

Dave :D

ladytexan

Reaction score
Ralf, Dave, and Brad,

Thanks for your suggestions. I've, also, thought about microchipping my guitars (several of the boutique luthiers do this....wonder if the Santa Cruz guitars that were stolen from Guitar Rodeo were microchipped?) The reverse printed label is brilliant, and the price is right. :)

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Brad Little said:
Here's a tip from frets.com:
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musicia ... label.html
I would also suggest that you type the information using a reverse type face, as you would for making an iron on pattern, that way it will be easily read using an inspection mirror.
Brad

Great tip, Brad.

But this part: "The big secret is that hide glue and gelatin are one and the same!" is taking me off Jello for life. :shock:

Dave :D

Guild Dawg

Reaction score
Guild Total
That "name label inside the guitar" idea is great!

Microchipping is a nice idea, too, if you have the money and the guitar is worth it, however, I've never heard of it being very successful except in cases of lost dogs and cats. Until more people take the plunge to buy the scanning equipment (the way many veterinarians have), I'm not sure how much value this practice will have.

Putting the word out on Craigslist and on Facebook can be helpful, especially in areas with active music communities. In the Atlanta/Athens area, I see notices all the time about stolen gear. You can include high-quality photos to identify the instruments.

Thanks to the interconnectivity of Facebook users, you can really disseminate a lookout notice widely in a short amount of time to people who really know what to look for (and feel strongly about punishing thieves)!

ladytexan

Reaction score
Guild Dawg said:
Putting the word out on Craigslist and on Facebook can be helpful, especially in areas with active music communities. In the Atlanta/Athens area, I see notices all the time about stolen gear. You can include high-quality photos to identify the instruments.

Thanks to the interconnectivity of Facebook users, you can really disseminate a lookout notice widely in a short amount of time to people who really know what to look for (and feel strongly about punishing thieves)!
Good to know, Guild Dawg. Didn't Mandosquirrel post on a 'stolen instrument alert' website after his instruments were stolen? Can't remember the specifics.

P.S. Did Mando recover his instruments? Sure hope so.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
ladytexan said:
P.S. Did Mando recover his instruments? Sure hope so.
Yes, IIRC. The somewhat clueless "perps" were actually trying to sell one of 'em to a shop locally, which is another reason to keep the s/n and other info on file even if you're not carrying insurance. It would certainly make recovery at the "pawn shop" level a bit easier for law enforcement, or even yourself.
If one of mine were stolen I'd be checking pawnshops and the flea market and Craigslist myself, knowing those tasks would probably be pretty darn low on local LE's list in an era of huge municipal budget deficits.

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Hi; I just saw the last couple of posts.
I posted at a few places, and I was contacted by employees at 2 music stores, one a Guitar Center, the day after the October 18, 2011 break in, because when they Googled for value of a Breedlove Cascade, the search brought up the one they were being offered, mine. Two days after the theft, my Breedlove was returned by a sheriff's deputy, thanks mostly to Guitar Center, Fort Myers, Florida. It and my automobile were the only items I received back. My most treasured, though not as monetarily valuable, possession, a Victoria mandolin, "by B & J, New York", from probably the 1920's or 30's, is still missing, and I guess I'll never see her again. She'd been with me since August of 1984.
The girl who tried to sell my Breed is apparently on probation, ordered to pay close to $1400 in restitution, at $41 per month, almost an insult to me(3 year payoff). Having online documentation of my instruments certainly helped, but local law enforcement wouldn't have accomplished much without the assistance of music store employees; maybe they'd have still gotten my vehicle, but they supposedly couldn't connect the person in possession of my property to the theft, during the same break in, of my vehicle.
The State Attorney's office never even informed me of a trial if there was one, or of the sentencing hearing, or of the court ordered restitution. I hate to be down on the authority's, especially since my father(who we just buried 12 days ago) was a small town policeman when I was growing up, but I feel they didn't care about my case at all, considering repayment of dollar value adequate compensation for the loss of MY PRECIOUS PROPERTY, when they wouldn't have accomplished what little they did on their own.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
Brad Little said:
Here's a tip from frets.com:
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musicia ... label.html
I would also suggest that you type the information using a reverse type face, as you would for making an iron on pattern, that way it will be easily read using an inspection mirror.
Brad

Great tip, Brad.

But this part: "The big secret is that hide glue and gelatin are one and the same!" is taking me off Jello for life. :shock:

Dave :D[/quote

... But hey, maybe you can order them in your favorite flavor now.

kitniyatran

Reaction score
kyguild said:
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your Father, Mando. :(

Charlie
Thanks, KY. I saw that JimbowF212 posted about his Mom going, & almost posted there, but didn't really want to get into it.

ladytexan

Reaction score
Mando,

Thanks for the follow-up on the status of your lost instruments. Karma has a strange way of righting all wrongs I hope this is the case for you.

I am so, so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. My deepest condolences for you and your family. It is such a hard time when the loss is a parent. My prayers are with you, Mando. ::::softsmile::::

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My 12-string Epiphone was stolen from under my bunk in the barracks at Whidbey Island NAS back in '73. When I inquired if I had any recourse, the barracks Master-At-Arms told me "Son, if they wanted you to have a guitar, they'da issued you one." So much for that, it likely ended up in a pawnshop in the Seattle area somewhere. They also got what was in the case, a 64-key Hohner double chromonica and a Lovin' Spoonful songbook. I didn't have serial numbers, etc., so I never saw it again. I decided not to get another guitar until I was out of the Navy, too many thieves lurking about.

After I got out of the Navy and got a civilian job, I used my first paychecks to buy my '76 D-25M :D

I carry a special insurance rider on my homeowners policy which covers my instruments for any type of loss, I think it only costs me about $25-30 per year. I'm covered no matter what happens to them or where it happens. Stolen from my car - covered. Stolen from a gig - covered. Some drunk falls on my guitar and smashes it to splinters - covered.

I maintain a list with my insurance co. - Brands, model #s, serial #'s, physical descriptions, photos, estimated values. Gives me peace of mind. 8)

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mando,
Guess I've been out of touch. I was unaware of your Father's passing and I'm terribly saddened to hear. God's blessings to you for comfort and strength.

Didn't know about your theft situation either and I know how fond you are/were about those mandolins and your other instruments. You've had it tough of late and if its any consolation, please know you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Keep on carrying on, brother...

Ken sends

tjmangum

Reaction score
Guild Dawg said:
I have a friend that works at a pawnshop and he says the first thing they do when someone comes in to sell an instrument is to do a quick search for "stolen" on Craigslist.
T

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Scratch said:
Mando,
Guess I've been out of touch. I was unaware of your Father's passing and I'm terribly saddened to hear. God's blessings to you for comfort and strength.

Didn't know about your theft situation either and I know how fond you are/were about those mandolins and your other instruments. You've had it tough of late and if its any consolation, please know you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Keep on carrying on, brother...

Ken sends
Thanks. You were no more out of the loop than anyone else regarding Dad; I got the call from my brother at 2:16 AM Tuesday, June 26, & was on the way by 9:30. I didn't go online at all until I got home Sunday, July 8, & didn't post anything about it until this thread.