Incredible footage of osprey fishing?

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That's beyond incredible! I'll spread this one around the birding neighborhood. That's some serious videography!!
We're keeping an eye on another nest on the creek this year, so this is near and dear.

Thanks for posting a great link, George! :D
Joe

Geo

Reaction score
I had never seen a bird in flight shake water off like a dog does. I guess it helps to lighten the load...... Fascinating!!

George

Geo

Reaction score
We have hawks take birds off the feeder occasionally. I saw a sparrow hawk take a dove that was almost as big as it was. More often we see chicken hawks and once a red tail got a dove. I find feathers and other evidence sometimes but have eye witnessed 4 attacks.

I have a bunch of little snipers that will be one month old tomorrow. They will be playing out in the danger zone within a week or so,,, I hope none fall prey to an aerial assault. :shock:

George

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I took this photo down in Florida when we were there for the Orlando get together.

CIMG4348C2.jpg

It was from when we "day-tripped" over to the gulf.

Geo

Reaction score
That's a good one Grot!! 8)

That's a big fish,,,, looks like a speckled trout. :shock:

George

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Just awesome......can't think of a better word to describe that.

I remember one day sitting here watching a dove in a limb when all of the sudden, out of my peripheral vision, this figure falls from the sky and the dove and the hawk hit the ground. That was all she wrote for the mourning dove. What a sight.

Thank George, we get caught up in the things of life and sometimes forget the life and death struggles that go on in nature all around us each day, and have since the dawn of time.

West

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My best "hawk" story is from when I had just gotten my new 35mm SLR camera and I was out hiking through the woods when I spotted a chipmunk going in and out of it's burrow.

I laid down in the leaves and set up my depth of field and focus as the chipmunk hopped up on a near by log. Just as I went to click the shutter I heard a whistling from my right. I was still looking through the viewfinder as a hawk swooped down and took that chipmunk away! I was so surprise I never pushed the shutter button!

It would have been a great photo!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:lol: I have 3 buddies that were varmit hunting here on night.....after coyotes. They had built an open top blind in a pasture out of hail bails, had their night vision optics and were wailing away with their wounded rabbit calls. All of the sudden from out of nowhere (and they swear it's true), an owls swoops down and knocks the cap of of one of the guys.

West

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
All of the sudden from out of nowhere (and they swear it's true), an owls swoops down and knocks the cap of of one of the guys.
West
Reminded me about that actress who reported her dog got taken by a hawk last week.
First thought to myself was "Bet it was one o' those annoying little barky a-s chihuahas" :evil:
Sure enough, it was... :eek:
I'm gonna get me hawk.
Quiet down the neighborhood. :lol:
(Sorry, chihuaha lovers) :|

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Not sure I can get these small enough...

Sent these images to Joe last week, friend was fishing in the Quabbin Reservoir in rural Central Massachusetts, when he and his buddies in their small boat were buzzed by this!

Eagle050212_0049.jpg

Clearly this guy had been at this before...they threw some fish back in the drink, and...

Eagle050212_0051.jpg

Eagle050212_0052.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
Sent these to Joe last week, friend was fishing in the Quabbin Reservoir,
when he and his buddies in their small boat were buzzed by this!
No wonder they named F15's after those things... 8)

CA-35

Reaction score
Geo said:
I had never seen a bird in flight shake water off like a dog does. I guess it helps to lighten the load...... Fascinating!! George

It does lessen the load :D , however the water mats down the flight feathers which reduces lift and creates drag. :shock:

For the record, and my favorite, is the Shearwater, which has been recorded to dive to a depth of 230 feet chasing prey.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
CA-35 said:
For the record, and my favorite, is the Shearwater, which has been recorded to dive to a depth of 230 feet chasing prey.
We see huge numbers of shearwaters (several species) off the WA coast during migration. I've shot videos of them 'flying' underwater in pursuit of food.
On pelagic birding trips beyond the continental shelf, the number of birds on the open ocean is always mind-boggling. :D

Joe

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
Not sure I can get these small enough...

Sent these images to Joe last week, friend was fishing in the Quabbin Reservoir in rural Central Massachusetts, when he and his buddies in their small boat were buzzed by this!

Eagle050212_0049.jpg

Clearly this guy had been at this before...they threw some fish back in the drink, and...

Eagle050212_0051.jpg

Eagle050212_0052.jpg

That bird looks banded.............cool shot.

West