If You Could Only Keep One...

6L6

Reaction score
If you could only keep one out of your current acoustic stash (list your stash), what would it be?

My current acoustic stash:

'97 Martin D-45V
'12 Martin D-45
'93 Martin D-41
'99 Collings D-1
'74 Guild D-40
'76 Guild F50SB
'06 Guild D-55
'06 Guild F-412
'90 Ovation Model 1869 Custom Legend
'03 Taylor 214
'11 Taylor GS Mini

For a long time my fav would have been my '74 Guild D-40...

But Alas, my '76 Guild F-50SB is now the pick of my litter. If I could only keep one acoustic guitar, that would be the one for sure.

How about you?

Bill

Frosty

Reaction score
Not quite where you were going with this, perhaps, but
my $.02

I went through this real life thought exercise as I approached
two years of unemployment. Started selling down my collection,
did you know you can pay your mortgage with a Gibson J-200?
I tried bringing it directly to the bank, but ended up going through
a middleman.

The most serviceable guitar I have is a Collings OM, though
my emotional attachment is greater to other guitars. So, to be
"gig ready", it would be that one.

Geo

Reaction score
No surprise here,,,, I’d keep the DV-52 :mrgreen:

'72 D25CH
'85 D25 SB
'95 D26 NT
'95 JF26 NT
'97 DV6 NT HG
'98 DV6 NT HG E
'98 DV52 NT HG
'02 D50 NT
'84 F412 Jumbo
'00 Bluesbird
'98 Martin HD28
'99 Lado Hawk CE
'97 Fender Tele Deluxe
'99 Carvin D-400
'07 Lado C-802 Custom

Fortunately I’m still adding to the list but you never know. I've sold most of my electric guitars but have a couple of electrics on my GAS list. 8)

I've come across some good deals because of the economy. It's sad that people are actually facing this scenario in their lives.

George

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Tough call for me. While I do have those nostalgic feelings for Guild, it would boil down to a coin toss between two Martin 000s. Both very different, but equally wonderful.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My choice is purely nostalgic, and thus rules out the Guilds. I would keep my 1980 Ibanez Artwood AW-75 12-string, and my '60s Favilla classical. Of everything else, it'd probably be the Tacoma F-512, although the New Hartford F-212XL Standard is now something of an emotional attachment since it represents the newer directions of Guild from the hands of people I've met and respect... tough call there.

Thunderface

Reaction score
I wish I knew more about the differences between the acoustics to offer a better guess, but if it were me, knowing what I know about myself and what I like, I'd say the '76 F50SB.

Here's hoping you posted the list as a means of staring a conversation, rather than gauging interest because you have to get down to just one.

6L6

Reaction score
Let me clarify that none of my guitars are currently for sale.

My point, I guess, is that nothing rocks my boat as much as my '76 F-50SB. If something bad happened and I could only keep one guitar from my stash to play, that would be the one.

Bill

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If I had to get down to one it would probably be the Martin D-35. Bought it new as a retirement gift to myself. Close call with the NH Guild D-40, though.

Dave :D

geoguy

Reaction score
Tough call. For sentimental reasons, I would want to keep a mid-1970's D-25M that I've owned since new.

Sound/playing-wise, I'd probably choose the D-55. Or the GSR-F30R.

Ok, I can't whittle it down to one . . . they're all so different.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Before the Summer of '08 I would have said my Gibson J-30...until December '11 I might have said my Guild D55...

Now, I really do not know...might well be a guitar I do not have yet! I know what I want it to be, and have a good idea what it might wind up to be...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah, kinda tough here too, as I've been growing more and more fond of the F65ce and the D40, but, having pulled out the D25 for some "special time" last Saturday, I was so in love all over again I had to call Keith Holland to thank him again for the excellent fret job/setup that's almost 2 years old. :lol:
D25 still wins on overall versatility/playability/mojo. :wink:

Geo

Reaction score
adorshki said:
pulled out the D25 for some "special time" last Saturday, I was so in love all over again I had to call Keith Holland to thank him again for the excellent fret job/setup that's almost 2 years old. :lol:

D25 :mrgreen: I'm about to pull the trigger on another one. 8)

George

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Geo said:
adorshki said:
D25 :mrgreen: I'm about to pull the trigger on another one. 8)
George
Wanna buy an F65ce? NO wait, I'm sorry, that was cruel of me, besides, I know you want one of those sunburnt ones. :lol:
Seriously though, since that last fret job I literally save the D25 for those times when I "really gotta have to have it", like 100 year old brandy or something.
I'm trying to save that "just like it was new again feel" for as long as possible. Ya never know what might happen on the next refret...and I'll never duplicate the 1300 hours it's got on it again, with another one, if I had to replace it...

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's a possible scenario that I don't even want to think about. :shock:

If it came to only one acoustic, I'd probably keep my D50, as I've owned it since I was 17. I'd cry like a baby if I had to part with my Martin D18DC or my Gibson WM45 though. :cry:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
john_kidder said:
[quote="West R Lee":303zvdts]No surprise here.....the DV72.

West
I'd love to have you play this D80 for a while, Jim. I think you might be be won over, as I was from the DV73.[/quote:303zvdts]

Oh I'd love to John.....just aren't a bunch of them laying around. I'll tell you though....it would be a tall order to sway me away from the DV72. How've you been?

West

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
twocorgis said:
Here's a possible scenario that I don't even want to think about. :shock:
If it came to only one acoustic, I'd probably keep my D50, as I've owned it since I was 17. I'd cry like a baby if I had to part with my Martin D18DC or my Gibson WM45 though. :cry:
I hear you Sandy.
That's why if I had to choose one, it would be the DV-52, but I'd make sure to carry it in a case large enough to house my Dove and the 000 Martin. :wink:
And I could live with that.