RIP Donna Summer....

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As an aging disco bunny, this stuns and saddens me to no end. What an amazing voice and what a great body of music she leaves behind. Thanks for the music and the lifetime of memories, Donna. RIP, my dear. :cry:

griehund

Reaction score
davismanLV said:
As an aging disco bunny, this stuns and saddens me to no end. What an amazing voice and what a great body of music she leaves behind. Thanks for the music and the lifetime of memories, Donna. RIP, my dear. :cry:

She worked hard for the money. RIP Donna.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Rick James is gonna put on a wig and do a tribute tour. He will, however, only lip-synch.
He'll be a super-freaky bad girl though.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll have to admit that I wasn't particularly crazy about her music, but she sure could sing. RIP

poser

Reaction score
I was on an over-night ferry in the Philippines in the summer of 1980. They played an endless loop of disco music all night long. Donna Summers "Hot Stuff" album came on every few hours. I felt rather tortured that night and needless to say didn't get much sleep. The title song of her album ran through my head for days. Oddly enough, some time later I discovered I had grown fond of the album.
Man could she sing...

Geo

Reaction score
twocorgis said:
I'll have to admit that I wasn't particularly crazy about her music, but she sure could sing. RIP

+1

I only remember a couple of her songs but like Sandy said,,,, she sure had a set of pipes.

George

griehund

Reaction score
adorshki said:
Rick James is gonna put on a wig and do a tribute tour. He will, however, only lip-synch.
He'll be a super-freaky bad girl though.

I was just thinkin she was kinda the first supa freak. She's not the kind of girl that you take home to mother.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
She could sing? I only remember her moaning and groaning. Saw her lip-sync on a TV show in the 70's, but she had trouble lip-syncing since she was not really singing.

From wikipedia: "In 1975, Summer approached Giorgio Moroder with an idea for a song she was working on for another singer. She had come up with the lyric "love to love you, baby". Moroder was interested in developing the new sound that was becoming popular and used Summer's lyric to develop the song. Moroder persuaded Summer to record what was to be a demo track for another performer. She later said that she had thought of how the song might sound if Marilyn Monroe had sung it and began cooing the lyrics. To get into the mood of recording the song, she requested Moroder turn off the lights while they sat on a sofa with him inducing her moans and groans. After hearing playback of the song, Moroder felt Summer's version should actually be released. The song generated controversy due to Summer's moans and groans and some American and European radio stations, including the BBC, refused to play it."

For those interested, the fun starts at about 8:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5AztWseIdU&feature=fvsr

Hopefully, this is a non-offensive post - this is an actual song that sold a lot of copies! It is disco at its best - no redeeming value whatsoever!

walrus

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
walrus said:
disco at its best - no redeeming value whatsoever!

walrus

Ms. Summer's demise aside, I'm guessing that you probably won't get a lot of argument around LTG.

Dave :D

CA-35

Reaction score
She had a home in Aventura (a suburb of North Miami Beach) I believe, and a few years ago I saw her at a grocery store.
Extremely nice lady, and anybody that asked for an autograph or a pic was not denied. She was in aisle 8 for an hour I swear.

167711.jpg

RIP Dear. :(

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
CA-35 said:
She had a home in Aventura (a suburb of North Miami Beach) I believe, and a few years ago I saw her at a grocery store.
Extremely nice lady, and anybody that asked for an autograph or a pic was not denied. She was in aisle 8 for an hour I swear.

RIP Dear. :(
Sounds like a lovely lady. RIP for sure.
I did my very best to ignore her and her music in the 70's. But it was impossible.
Hearing those songs again today ( on the TV news) bring back some solid memories though.
I think I'll go put on my Clash and Talking Heads albums. :lol:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I bet to differ with y'all. Keep in mind, underground club music was not what you heard on the radio. It was a combo of Northern Soul, the Philly sound, a bit of ROCK and a nice mix of R & B with some blues thrown in.... all in an upbeat package. They gave us horn sections, string sections, rhythm sections and resurrected a lot of gospel singers that made it all the sweeter. I'm not talking Bee Gee's here, but they were okay too.

You don't have to like the genre, but to say it had "no redeeming value" is .....

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
bluesypicky said:
davismanLV said:
You don't have to like the genre, but to say it had "no redeeming value" is .....
+1

+2

All music, no matter how bad you might think it is, has some redeeming value to others. That's why there's so many different kinds.

Geo

Reaction score
davismanLV said:
not talking Bee Gee's here, but they were okay too.

I was a part of the disco sucks crowd but I like some of the Bee Gee's stuff. :shock: Don't you dare tell anyone. What I do in the privacy of my home is my business. :lol:

Closet Fan George

Ravon

Reaction score
Geo said:
davismanLV said:

I was a part of the disco sucks crowd but I like some of the Bee Gee's stuff. :shock: Don't you dare tell anyone. What I do in the privacy of my home is my business. :lol:

Closet Fan George
'Stayin' Alive' was a cool song even if it was disco. I guess 'cause it had that funky guitar line but can't think of any others from that period though :|

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Geo said:
davismanLV said:

Closet Fan George
:lol: :lol: Your secret is safe with me, George. But, some of the other guys here like to talk...... :roll: It was really popular to bash disco and some of the more popular songs made it very easy to do. Like every other genre of music.... there's good, bad, and in-between.

Now .... I have to go make some phone calls about this latest admission of yours...... 8)

Geo

Reaction score
Ravon said:
'Stayin' Alive' was a cool song even if it was disco. I guess 'cause it had that funky guitar line but can't think of any others from that period though :|

I've said too much already so I won't go down my play list. :oops:

Night Fever George