When A Stranger Asks to Play Your Guitar

ladytexan

Reaction score
When I'm with fellow LTGers, I feel very comfortable 'sharing' guitars. These are friends and like-hearted souls who know and respect guitars. No concerns or worries. In fact, it's sort of our LTG culture to want everyone to play all of our guitars. However, at other jam sessions, I've been asked (by folks I don't know) if they could play my Guild. This is the typical line, "Wow, you have a Guild. Mind if I play it? I've never played one and have heard they are great!" So, oftentimes, when I go to a 'regular' jam session, I take my 1970 funky, great-sounding Yamaha classical (Nippon Gakki, no less ;) - my current travel guitar).

Has this happened to you? What's the polite etiquette? In the past, I've let the person play it, but I hover every second.

Here are a few options:

1. Stare at the person in disbelief and don't say anything until they go away?
2. Smile and hand them the guitar?
3. Politely refuse by saying you don't let others play your guitar(s)?
4. Ask for a security deposit?
5. Other?

P.S. There's a big jam session in San Antonio in the very near future, and I've been debating on taking my most beloved GF30.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll bite. I don't worry about it too much, to the point where most of the damage done to my trusty old D50 was done by friends (yeah; I know; with friends like that...). Guitars were made to be played as they say. Honest wear doesn't bother me a bit. I think the folks you're going to meet up with own nice guitars and probably respect them. I wouldn't expect them to treat your guitar any differently.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This IS a tricky situation. I do this quick scan of a person before I ever hand over my guitar. I scan for metal and hard objects.... belt buckles, snaps, zippers, bracelets, etc. But even then, although I like to hear others play my guitars, I tend to baby them and .... I do hover like bear protecting its cub. So I understand your reluctance. Most of the time there's no need for worry and with my D65s, it's balanced out by the look of sheer joy on their faces when they play.

Still, it's hard to hand it over to a stranger. It will be interesting to see what others do in this case..... 8)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'd see if they had clean hands, too!!

I once let a guy use my D64 at an open mic. But I had seen him perform before, so I knew he was not going to beat on it, and I kind of knew him a little. He loved it (of course!).

It is a tough question if you don't know anything about the person. I would be worried they might run away if I turn my back - if I did it, I would also "hover" close by, Toni!

walrus

Sal

Reaction score
Wow Toni, I can't imagine asking a stranger to play their guitar. If it were asked of me I'd be comfortable smiling and saying "Sorry, no." This could be awkward if you'd just let a known friend play it, but hey, it is your baby.

Some people are clods. The one that took the cake was the stranger that asked me if she could try my scuba gear!

Geo

Reaction score
I say, "Hell no, I don't know where your fingers have been." :shock:

George

Ravon

Reaction score
My first instinct is to say no but I've never refused anyone yet. The last person who played my blonde X170 absolutely fell in love with it and offered to buy it on the spot and told me if I ever did decide to sell it contact him first. What I won't do however, is loan any out. Learned that lesson the hard way with a nice Ovation :(

Bing k

Reaction score
When I play out everybody plays what I bring. I've sold some right on stage. "Would you like the case with that?"

Tell'em this: "OK, but you gotta take all your cloths off and play necced."

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I've had this happen many times at open mics and I always say "sure". I look at it as a compliment. Nothing bad has ever happened. I actually find it interesting to hear how my guitars sound when someone else plays them. My most expensive guitar is my D60. I handed it to a guy at a open mic and it was great hearing this wonderful guitar from the audiences perspective. Only downside was the person in question is WAY better than me so I kept thinking this guitar will never sound this good again.

I've noticed at blues and rock jams that bass and keyboard players seem to share w/o even thinking about it. And of course there is typically a house band drum set that all the drummers wack on. Guitar players seem to be the ones who get protective.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bing k said:
Tell'em this: "OK, but you gotta take all your cloths off and play necced."

Like this guy?

(beefcake picture removed)

:lol:

ladytexan

Reaction score
It is a compliment, and I am pleased that spreading the word about our great Guild guitars is as simple as letting someone play them. I've, also, been blown away at how great my guitar sounds - listening from the other side gives a whole new appreciation. :)

I think I'll take my GF30 with me next weekend. And, enjoy an afternoon of playing a guitar I love and jammin' with others. If I am asked, I'm going to combine a few of your suggestions and ideas, i.e., hover a little, keep an eye-out on belt buckles, etc. :D

ladytexan

Reaction score
Sandy, thanks! You're a great buddy!

P.S. To Everyone who has not been following this thread, just doing a little thread neutralization. :)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
ladytexan said:
Sandy, I know this guy is quite the New York City street musician. But, can he play guitar? Ah, who cares! ;) My, my goodness! 8) :D

Beat me to it! :D

ladytexan

Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
Gee, that reminds me of a photo that I posted a while back.
Alas, it's been hinted that I need to keep it under wraps....the photo, that is! :( :lol:

Joe
I understand, Joe. Probably a good idea to keep this one under wraps, too. Sorta like what's good for the gander is good for the goose. Sandy......delete? :wink:

P.S. Bing, it's all your fault, you know. :lol: ::::impish grin:::: Just mention the word necced...... ::::teehee::::

Ravon

Reaction score
twocorgis said:
ladytexan said:
Sandy, I know this guy is quite the New York City street musician. But, can he play guitar? Ah, who cares! ;) My, my goodness! 8) :D

Beat me to it! :D
Ohhhkaay.... to each his own :| :lol: (Personally I'd rather see the pic of Larry the Cable Guy playing the guitar. Now that's someone I can relate to! :mrgreen: )

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
This is why I always play in groups with a "beater".

I think banged up D-25's were put on this planet for a reason. :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I don't have a "beater" to play! I'd rather sound as good as possible - I need all the help I can get...

I've even played the D64 at Boy Scout campfires!

Made to be Played!!

walrus

Geo

Reaction score
I play with myself a lot so nobody ever ask.

George

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Geo said:
I play with myself a lot so nobody ever ask.
George
That's 'cause you do it in your house. You should go out to a park like me, then people can see and hear you. :lol:
If they're tappin' their feet or stopping to let the toddler watch for awhile, those are good signs. :lol:
When a stranger or anybody I've never seen play asks if they can try my guitar, my first thought is "How new are these strings? Less than 5 hours?" ONLY the closest of friends who are also players would be allowed. Typically they won't even ask anyway, they already got their own axes and like 'em for their own reasons anyway.
In fact I've even asked other players to play my F65ce just so I could hear how it sounded from the front. :lol:
But nobody else gets to use the first five hours of string life on the D25, period.
After that, and after sizing up their clothes for potential damaging objects there's a condition: " Ya gotta wash your hands". Their reaction to that tells you everything you need to know.
All this would apply to the D25 only, the other 2 never leave the house and a stranger wouldn't be in the house to ask.
It IS flattering when somebody wants to try your guitar and you want to show it off too, but someone who doesn't know squat about guitars at all ain't gonna realize just how special that D25's playability is anyway and one shouldn't feel like a grinch if one just wants to say "I'm sorry, but nobody plays this guitar but me". :wink: