Can You Say "TRAISKADEKAPHOBIA"? (Happy Memorial Day)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It’s the fear of the number 13. You know, why some hotels don’t have a 13th floor and Friday the 13th gets such a bad rap even though it’s a Friday.
Anyway, I was watching a documentary about Apollo 13 last night (I think it was “Apollo 13: Triumph on the Dark Side” on the History channel) and several facts I’ve forgotten if I ever knew ‘em at all came up:
Jim Lovell recounted the story of how his wife asked him why they actually used the number 13 for a mission, to which he basically replied: “We’re scientists, we don’t believe in superstition, it’s just another number” (Insert Twilight Zone theme music here)
So, Apollo 13 launches at 13:13 CST on April 11 1970. Almost 56 hours into the mission, on April 13th, an oxygen tank in the service module explodes, fatally crippling the mission.
Coincidentally, April 13th that year was not a Friday but a Monday. Figures. :lol:
What kept me glued to the set was the rest of the story of one hurdle after another being overcome through sheer ingenuity and teamwork between the crew and mission control in the fight for simple survival 200,000 miles out in space. Literally one thing after another, no respite.
Somehow, when it came to the description of the maneuver required to insure that the craft successfully re-entered the atmosphere and didn’t skip off it from being at too oblique an angle and thus become a permanent celestial artifact, it struck me as being analogous to the struggle of a spermatozoa to fertilize an egg. Symbolic somehow, and I literally shed a couple of tears as I wondered:
“What happened to us? WE LANDED ON THE MOON 6 TIMES BY GOD! We invented a craft that brought 3 guys back alive from 200,00 miles out in space even after a mission crippling mechanical failure AND NOW WE HITCH RIDES ON SOMEONE ELSE’S SPACESHIP TO GET TO THE INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION?!?!?! What the H-LL happened?!?!?”
Does anybody think any other country or even this one will ever equal, let alone surpass , that accomplishment again? It ain't lookin' too likely right now, from where I sit. :?
OK, rhetorical questions, I’m not looking to create a thread that gets locked because the discussion degraded into political diatribe. What I'm really tryin' to say is:
We simply cannot afford to turn our backs on space. I’m not sayin’ we ought to own it, but I still believe that this nation has the best infrastructure already in place to successfully explore the opportunities space offers to solve some of humanity's most pressing problems.
No jingoistic arrogant patriotic hyperbole intended, and no slight intended to the capabilities of any other nation.
I just remember that some other members agree with me about the importance of space exploration and I’m offering up food for thought. Somebody might be inspired to do something that could literally save the world.
It also occured to me that those who have given their lives in the exploration of space are just as worthy of our respects this Memorial Day weekend as any member of any nation’s military who have given their lives in the name of preventing crimes against humanity.
Peace my brothers and sisters and may your holiday be safe and rewarding in the company of your loved ones.
Me? I think I’m gonna go look for one o’ those Truax rockets now… (look him up! :D )

Geo

Reaction score
You want more space exploration? There and election coming up,,, the most important in our history. Get out and vote. :wink:

Have a happy and safe Memorial Day Weekend!!!!!!! :D

George

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Geo said:
Get out and vote. :wink:
While you were posting I was polishing up and editing for accuracy...but yeah, there's an easy act that could, like I said, literally save the world. Ya just never know, does ya? :wink:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
Pretty sure it was JIM Lovell.
Still a great story though. :wink:

Joe
And one more edit for accuracy.... :lol: (thanks...think I must have had Bob , er , JOHN Glenn on the brain too... :lol: )