Working on a new song?

griehund

Reaction score
Anybody working on a new/old song? I'm working on Buddy Guy's "Too Soon". Great lyrics but they have to be cleaned up a bit. :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm trying something different. I love how Andy Timmons plays guitar, great tone and passion. Normally, I'm not really a solo guitar guy, but he blows me away. Anyway, I mailed away for the tabs for his song "Electric Gypsy" from his web site. They came last week, very accurate, with a handwritten thank you note from Andy - nice touch!

This is going to take a while, and there will be parts I will not be able to play, but I almost have the main theme down already.

I'm really enjoying it - a different kind of challenge for me!

Here's a link of him playing "Electric Gypsy" at a guitar show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRewopc1 ... re=related

walrus

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
My Band has several new songs that we are learning and arranging to fit us. I love doing this.
It is a lot of fun taking a song and arranging it to fit.
Some of the songs are:
Fox On The Run
Wrangle Mountain Song
Early Morning Rain
Rocky Top
Blueridge Mountain Home
Colleen Malone

We do these in Bluegrass style with some great harmonies.

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I'm always working on a new song. I'm having trouble with my very short-term memory. I'll play a song all day long and not be able to remember the first word to it that evening. It's frustrating and discouraging; lookin' for answers rather than just give it up.

Peace

griehund

Reaction score
Bikerdoc said:
I'm always working on a new song. I'm having trouble with my very short-term memory. I'll play a song all day long and not be able to remember the first word to it that evening. It's frustrating and discouraging; lookin' for answers rather than just give it up.

Peace

Same problem here. I sit in the hot tub every morning and run lyrics and patterns through my head. I can usually get on track by falling back to the hook. I run the song in my head all day long. I try starting out by getting the right number of bars and the changes down then jump into the first verse. Sometimes it works and some times my dumbassery prevails. Trying to get away from just strumming chords. Getting old inhales. :)

idealassets

Reaction score
Some of the songs are:
Fox On The Run
Wrangle Mountain Song
Early Morning Rain
Rocky Top
Blueridge Mountain Home
Colleen Malone
I don't think you can lose with 2 of these songs. I lived in eastern Tennessee for a while, and attended a few bluegrass festivals there. Nearly every band did Fox on The Run and Rocky Top, and over and over the audience would become all sentimental each time these were played. Never mind that I heard them each nearly a dozen times that day.

Craig

griehund

Reaction score
Taylor Martin Guild said:
My Band has several new songs that we are learning and arranging to fit us. I love doing this.
It is a lot of fun taking a song and arranging it to fit.
Some of the songs are:
Fox On The Run
Wrangle Mountain Song
Early Morning Rain
Rocky Top
Blueridge Mountain Home
Colleen Malone

We do these in Bluegrass style with some great harmonies.

Early Morning Rain is Gordon Lightfoot yes/no? Lots of great songs like Cotton Jenny, Wreck of Edmund Fitzgerald. He just did a concert in Northampton MA. He looks frail. Bought tickets for my wife and her sister.

idealassets

Reaction score
Same problem here. I sit in the hot tub every morning and run lyrics and patterns through my head.
I'm sorry to say that I cannot perform unless I have the music sheets with chords right in front of me. I've come to admit that this is the only way it will ever work for me on guitar.

Thats because of so many years on drums, where my emphasis was on feel and intuition, very rarely ever having to sing the exact verses, ususally just the harmonzing ooh's, and doo wah's in so many songs.

Craig

Ravon

Reaction score
I can bore myself learning others songs so I've been writing more of my own songs, mostly incomplete chord changes and single line melodies and hooks. I use alot of 7th, 13th and 9th chords in my writing so it ends up having a jazz/ blues flavor. But to be honest, I wish I had some help to complete some of my ideas. I've got some great chord progressions and hooks but I just get stuck trying to complete a song. I've gone so far as to put up local C/L and music store ads for a collaborative effort but no one seems to be interested. I guess its kinda weird for people in this area for someone who would want to do that. Only thing I can figure out :? :lol:

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Trying to arrange a couple of Nina Simone tunes for my X-50 and male vocals.

And MAN is it hard!

Some material you just shouldn't cover.

I covered Sade's "Stronger Than Pride" and thought I could give this a similar treatment. I was wrong, but I'm still working on it.

griehund

Reaction score
Ravon said:
I can bore myself learning others songs so I've been writing more of my own songs, mostly incomplete chord changes and single line melodies and hooks. I use alot of 7th, 13th and 9th chords in my writing so it ends up having a jazz/ blues flavor. But to be honest, I wish I had some help to complete some of my ideas. I've got some great chord progressions and hooks but I just get stuck trying to complete a song. I've gone so far as to put up local C/L and music store ads for a collaborative effort but no one seems to be interested. I guess its kinda weird for people in this area for someone who would want to do that. Only thing I can figure out :? :lol:

Being structure dependent, anal retentive and basically linear I always fall back on structure. If I can come up with two or three verses and a chorus it's generally enough build a complete song by manipulating the layout.

Verse
Verse
Chorus
Solo
Verse
Chorus

or some such construction.

I get a kick out of John Primer's "Add a Little Touch" cause he's only got two verses and a chorus.

Verse 1
Verse 2
Chorus
Solo
Chorus
Verse 2
Verse 1

Anywho that's just me. Sometimes you can reach the end by going back to the beginning. :)

DasBeef

Reaction score
Bikerdoc said:

Peace

Most modern phones have some kind of voice recorder in them. I used to be terrible for forgetting my 'awesome' riffs. Now if I think I'm onto something, I record it on my phone. Like a dictaphone sort of idea, even if it's just a couple of chords and a melody.

poser

Reaction score

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
poser said:
Bikerdoc said:

Peace

Stay away from that high fructose corn syrup. :shock:

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/ne...umbs-brain-down-hurts-memory-learning-ability

I'm a diabetic on a heart patient diet as well. So basically, I'm starving. LOL
But I don't eat sweets...............well, mostly. :wink: Seriously though, It may just be some sort of ADD getting worse. I use to say, just for kicks, "You don't have anything to say that I want to hear and I don't have anything to say that you can understand." Just joking really but maybe some strange force caused me NOT to pay attention to anything except my own thoughts and now I'm in a advanced stage of holier than thou. :shock:

Peace

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I also am finding it difficult to memorize new songs.
I have to have my total focus on what I'm doing.
I memorize one verse at a time and then move to the next one.

I have to do this over and over until I can remember the lyrics.
By the time I have it memorized, I sometimes no longer enjoy the song.

I'm also having some problems remembering the lyrics to songs that I have played for years.
This getting old crap stinks!

griehund

Reaction score
Taylor Martin Guild said:
I also am finding it difficult to memorize new songs.
I have to have my total focus on what I'm doing.
I memorize one verse at a time and then move to the next one.

I have to do this over and over until I can remember the lyrics.
By the time I have it memorized, I sometimes no longer enjoy the song.

I'm also having some problems remembering the lyrics to songs that I have played for years.
This getting old crap stinks!

One of my all time favorites is Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl". Must have sung it a bazillion times. Sometimes I can't get through the second verse. da da da da da hum hum hum da da da. Crapp with 2 p's. :(