Doc Watson in Critical Condition after Surgery

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Me too, had the honor of seeing him a couple of times.......almost inspired me to quit...Steffan

poser

Reaction score
I've been listening to his music since the seventies. I only got to hear him in person about eight years ago. He sounded just as good then as he did on his recordings from the seventies. He didn't miss a note.

I'm pulling for you here too, Doc.

Ravon

Reaction score
Same here on listening to him on a friends album for the first time back in the '70's. I ate all guitar music up then and Doc blew me away

tjmangum

Reaction score
I was blessed to see him and Merle play in Nashville back in the 70's and then again to spend an evening about 8 feet away from him 20 years later in a small club. He makes it all seem so easy! Prayers and thoughts for a speedy recovery.
T

TonyT

Reaction score
If I could only take one song with me, it would be Doc's version of Tennesee Stud.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
First time I saw him, picture a small stage in the middle of a field on a really hot day, One of the early folk festivals, Maripossa in Orillia Ontario...Doc was flatpicking a fiddle tune,at killer speed...and a little wind passed by, Doc without missing a beat said in his slow southern drawl , 'my that was a nice little breeze, weren't it.'...my jaw was around my knees......

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
I am so thankful that I was able to see Doc and Merle live a couple of times back in the early eighties. I bought all their albums and then proceeded to wear them out. They were in a league all their own.

My prayers are with you Doc!

Frosty

Reaction score
Like virtually every other guitar picker, Doc caught my ear early on. It was "Windy and Warm" from the
Southbound album (I think). Such musical integrity in this man... from his honest guitar picking to that
warm, baritone voice.

ladytexan

Reaction score
From the latest news report, Doc is still in critical condition. :(

A fun fact about Doc:

He was born in Deep Gap, North Carolina. According to Watson on his three CD biographical recording Legacy, he got the nickname "Doc" during a live radio broadcast when the announcer remarked that his given name 'Arthel' was odd and he needed an easy nickname. A fan in the crowd shouted "Call him Doc!" presumably in reference to the literary character Sherlock Holmes' sidekick Doctor Watson. The name stuck ever since.

Now, I want to get the Legacy collection. ::::softsmile:::::

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
killdeer43 said:
One of these days, I might be forced to retell the story of my "pilgrimmage" to Deep Gap in October of '74. 8)

Joe

Oh, puh-leeze do tell!

In all this sadness a good Doc story would be most welcome.

' Strang