Hank Williams Sr. & a Guild?

ladytexan

Reaction score
Just saw the trailer for the new movie, "The Last Ride". And, although no guitar was shown in the clip, the promotional ad (a couple of photos below, the second shows a better picture of the bridge) looks like a Guild. A couple of questions:

1. Is it a Guild (I think it is - but not sure of the model)?

2. Could Hank Williams Sr. have ever played a Guild? (I don't think so, but I'm not sure).

hankwilliamssrguild.jpg

hankwilliamsrguild.jpg

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like a Guild dread for me, but IIRC there were no dreads before 1963.
Markus :D

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hank Williams used a Guild? It doesn't seem possible.

But how cool is it that Guild could be the guitar used in the film? Nothing seen in the trailer, tho.

Which one? Because of the silk-screened logo, and 'hog b&s I'm saying an elder D-25, or D-35.

Dave :D

ladytexan

Reaction score
dapmdave said:
But how cool is it that Guild could be the guitar used in the film? Nothing seen in the trailer, tho.
:D
I'm with you, Dave. Regardless of the improbablity(impossibility) that Hank Williams Sr. ever played a Guild, it is great to see one used in the film's poster. We'll have to see if it appears in the film. :)

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
He was a Martin player... and the actor in the movie doesn't look anything like him either.
hankwilliamssr.jpg

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've seen pics of Hank Williams with a Gibson Southern Jumbo, a Gibson J-35, and Martin D18 and D28. Looks like the movie wasn't researched all that well....?

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
I've seen pics of Hank Williams with a Gibson Southern Jumbo, a Gibson J-35, and Martin D18 and D28. Looks like the movie wasn't researched all that well....?
Or they didn't care... I watched the trailers too but I'll probably see it anyway. :lol:

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Setting aside the issue of singing and accent and just going with physical looks, I think Guy Pierce has that thin, angular look that may have worked. And he definitely has the acting chops.

But if Henry Thomas has the voice down, I can see how he was cast.