Doc Watson Dead

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
:(
Loved you and your music, Doc. Always will be a special part of me.
You were my muse, often when I needed one the most.
Sure wish you had been home when I stopped by back in October of '74. Just standing on your front porch was memorable!

RIP on your long journey home,
Joe

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
On "Legacy," a 2002 recording of music and conversation with Watson and musician David Holt, Watson is asked how he'd like to be remembered.

"Just as a good old, down-to-earth boy that didn't think he was perfect and that loved music," he says. "And I'd like to leave quite a few friends behind.... Other than that, I don't want anybody putting me on a pedestal when I leave here. I'm just one of the people."

He sure did leave quite a few friends behind........and we'll remember always......always.....Steffan

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
He was a great friend of the Penn State Folklore Society performing at numerous concerts and festivals throughout the 60s and 70s. At times it almost seemed as if he was a prof and Merle was a student. Now they're both gone. Theye nearly always came to our parties and were always very generous with their time.

So long, Doc. Man, how we loved you.

David

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite lines from Doc is one that I often repeat for fellow fans. Doc was playing at a concert when one concert-goer started getting a little too loud for everyone.
Doc calmed addressed the situation by saying, "Yeah buddy, I remember when I had MY first beer." :lol:

Loved it,
Joe

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I bought this book in the early 70s and I've had it with me ever since. About 30 great pieces and an introduction by Doc, most with a little side story about the song.
An early, learning/practicing routine was just to go through the book one song at at time and keep listening to Doc when my fingers were just too painful to play.

sbook001.jpg

This was my 'bible' for a long time and tomorrow, I'll walk through it again...for Doc. :wink:

Joe

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So sad to lose such a great talent and such a good man....
Thankfully, Doc left too much greatness behind to ever be forgotten.