John Prine's guitar style?

Shady Wilbury

Reaction score
Hi, folks.

Hope you're all well. I've done a search, and can't find a topic like this, so apologies if it's been posted before, but I'm trying to dissect a few Prine tracks, and can't tell whether his style is straight Travis picking or not. Recently, I cracked 'Souvenirs' by fluke, but would like to be able to play 'That's The Way The World Goes Round' (I think it would make for some happy enchiladas in open mic audiences. ;) )

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Casey

tjmangum

Reaction score
A great resource for John's picking and songs is at the following link to JPShrine http://www.jpshrine.org/chords/index.html
JP on fingerpicked songs pretty much uses his thumb and first 2 fingers. Also, do a YouTube search for threechordguitar. This fellow is a great guitar teacher and has videos showing how to play many of Prine's songs. Here's a seach result http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... 7EbX4SiCG8

It may take you "years to get those souvenirs" but it will only take you seconds to find almost any song, chords, tabs or style of playing on the net. Enjoy!
T

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
tjmangum said:
It may take you "years to get those souvenirs" but it will only take you seconds to find almost any song, chords, tabs or style of playing on the net. Enjoy!
T
The internet, with sites like Youtube and chordie.com, is a collective godsend for aspiring pickers, etc.
Sure could have used them all 42 years ago! But no, had to do it the hard way....and that's OK. :wink:

Joe

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, Prine is the master of 3-chord songs, that's for sure. You definitely have to get the 3-finger picking down, but his songs are great to practice the technique on. There aren't many Prine songs that I play with a flat pick. I usually play thumb on the first 3 wound strings then index finger on the G-B-E strings, alternating with the middle finger on the B-E strings.

Great song, "That's The Way" The happy enchilada story is great :lol:

I love doing "Souvenirs" as well, great song too. John with Steve Goodman, doesn't get much better than that.

TonyT

Reaction score
I'm always interested in talk about JP's style. It amazes me that the guy has written so many great songs, yet you don't have to be a virtuoso to play them, and sound pretty good at that. To me it says it all that no matter how hard anybody work at it, nobody sounds like he does.